This dish was inspired by our Croatian holiday but as I had run out of olive oil and used butter instead, it is slightly more French. Well, that’s what I say, a French person may not agree. But, going back to this dish, Dubrovnik is by the sea so fish is really popular everywhere especially, it seemed, sea bass. It was usually served very simply with boiled potatoes and greens and a garlic and olive oil dressing. As far as I know, it isn’t usually served with broccoli, it was generally chard. The fish was grilled/barbecued, usually whole and had a lovely crispy skin. As you can see from the picture, my fish is not whole, I didn’t grill it, I fried it, but it does have a crispy skin. Next time I’ll make sure I have some olive oil in the kitchen before I start and will use that instead of butter. After all, although the butter was nice, and the garlic delicious, I am more of an olive oil girl at heart.
Ingredients – serves 2
2 sea bass fillets
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
Small knob butter
Broccoli or other green vegetables
How to make Garlic Sea Bass
1. Put the potatoes on to boil. Five minutes before they are ready, add the broccoli.
2. Wash the sea bass. Scrape off any scales if necessary. Dry and season with garlic salt.
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the sea bass. Turn after 2-3 minutes.
4.When ready take the sea bass out of the pan. To the pan, add the butter, a little extra oil if necessary and the chopped garlic.
5. When the garlic begins to brown, spoon some of the butter and garlic over the fish.
6. Drain the potatoes and brocoli and add to the frying pan with the rest of the garlic and butter. Shake to coat the potatoes and broccoli in the sauce and serve with the fish.
7. Serve with lemon wedges and black pepper.