If you regularly read this blog you may have noticed that I have made very few posts in the last couple of months and you may also have noticed that I haven’t been reading blogs either during that time. It’s not that I’ve got bored of it or don’t want to blog any more. No, the truth is, I’m pregnant, and the last thing I’ve felt like doing is cooking, eating, reading or blogging about food. Luckily I’m now beginning to feel a little better and hope to try and catch up with everything I’ve missed in the last few months. This recipe is actually something I made back in July. I absolutely loved it and will definitely count it among my favourite vegetarian dishes, especially once my taste buds have got back to normal.
Ingredients – Serves 2
2 tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
1/2 tsp sugar
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
50g feta cheese, cubed
1 tbsp parmesan, grated
1 tbsp breadcrumbs
How to make Stuffed Aubergines
1. Cut the aubergines in half and score on the inside. Rub liberally with olive oil and put in a baking dish, scored side facing upward, in the oven at about 180c for 40 minutes.
2. Fry the onion in a small sauce pan. As it begins to soften add the sugar. When it is beginning to caramelise, add the tomatoes, garlic, cumin, nutmeg and paprika. Continue to cook until the mixture is very soft.
3. Remove the aubergines from the oven. Hold one end with a fork and scrape the flesh out with a spoon. Leave about 1/2 cm of flesh inside the skin. Add the aubergine flesh and cheese to the pan with the tomatoes and onions. Stir together.
4. Add this stuffing mixture back into the aubergine skins.
5. Mix the bread crumbs and parmesan together. Sprinkle on top of the aubergines and return to the oven for 15 minutes.