After a few months off Taste and Create I was pleased to be back again this month and even happier when I saw I had been paired with Pavani at Cook’s Hideout. Her blog is packed with delicious Vegetarian Indian food and there were so many recipes I would have loved to make. In fact, as well as this I also tried her quick and easy egg curry. It was the first time I had made an egg curry and I enjoyed it, but not as much the stuffed aubergine curry, which I absolutely loved. My husband doesn’t like aubergine much but it is one of my favourite vegetables so I made it while he was away doing a course for work. I probably ate enough for two anyway, and was more than happy that I didn’t have to share it with anyone! The peanuts add a delicious flavour and as I didn’t have any sesame seeds I used tahini instead, which worked really well. The end result was nutty, spicy and filling. So delicious. I loved the nut and spice paste so much that I ate quite a lot of it raw as I was stuffing the aubergines. It was a bit like a spicy peanut butter. The only thing that didn’t look right was the picture, it didn’t look very appetising at all, so I’ve shown the aubergines before they were cooked. But, if you really want to see them, there’s a tiny picture right at the end of the post!
It may sound a little fiddly to stuff all the aubergines and may also be difficult to find baby aubergines. If so, the recipe can easily be adapted and a normal aubergine can be used and diced into large cubes. The stuffing can then just be used as a paste.
To see what other people involved in Taste and Create have been making, have a look at the Taste and Create Website. It’s currently run by Min of the Bad Girl’s Kitchen and each month participants are paired with another blogger and make a dish from their partner’s blog.
Ingredients – Serves 1-2 (For cup measurements and the original recipe,see Pavani’s original post)
6 baby aubergines (use 8 if serving 2 people, but there will be enough of the other ingredients)
1 tsp tamarind pulp
50g peanuts (I was a bit generous and threw in a few more)
1 tsp tahini or 30 g sesame seeds
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp chilli flakes or 3 dried red chillies, crumbled
How to make Stuffed Aubergine Curry
1. Wash and dry the aubergines. Make a slit lengthways down the aubergines and another short slit widthways.
2. If using whole spices, dry roast them, then grind before the next step.
3. I used ground spices so I placed all ingredients in a blender with a little water and ground to a paste. Taste and adjust anything if necessary.
4. Stuff as much of the paste into the aubergines as possible.
5. Heat a little oil in a saucepan and add the aubergines. Cook over a low to medium flame until the aubergines are beginning to soften.
6. Mix a little water into the remaining paste until it is a thick liquid. Pour over the aubergines and continue to cook until they are soft and the sauce is bubbling.
7. Serve with rice.