It’s been a very dull grey start to the new year. Every time I look out of the window it seems to be drizzly and damp and it just makes me want to stay inside and hibernate. After all the excesses of Christmas I also feel like I need something healthy to eat – something savoury and virtually fat-free. Soup, but not a rich creamy soup, a fresh Asian soup, something like this, brimming with green vegetables, garlic and ginger. I’m sure if you had a cold this would also be just the thing.
I was surprised when I looked through my blog and discovered that although I have posted three noodle soups in the past, none have involved chicken, although I know I have made plenty of chicken noodle soups. I probably assumed each time I made it that I had already written about it. Anyway, apart from liking chicken soup and it being something I do occasionally make, I also had another reason for making chicken noodle soup this month. I wanted to make something for Tina’s Crazy Cooking Challenge which this month involved making a noodle soup from a recipe found on another blog. The recipe I eventually decided on was from Jenna at Eat Live Run and can be found here. I’ve adapted some of the quantities and the cooking times but it’s almost the same. I have used sesame oil before in stir fries but never in a soup and it adds a lovely rich nutty taste. Overall, it makes a lovely quick, easy and light dinner.
I am also sending this to Deb at Kahakai kitchen for Souper Sundays and to Nazima at Working London Mummy and Laura at How to cook good food. Nazima and Laura are the hosts of the One Ingredient Cooking Challenge. This month the theme is poultry.
Ingredients – Serves 2
2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely diced
1 small piece of fresh ginger, finely diced
1 tbsp sesame oil
400ml chicken stock (approx)
1 green chilli pepper, thinly sliced
1 large spring onion (or 2 normal ones)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 Pak choi, chopped
2 nests of dried noodles
Chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
How to make Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
1. Put the sesame oil in a saucepan and add the ginger and garlic. Cook for a minute, stirring, then add the chicken strips.
2. When the chicken has turned white on all sides, add the hot chicken stock and chilli pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. While the soup is simmering, cook the noodles according to the pack instructions.
4. Add the pak choi and most of the onion and the coriander to the soup. Simmer for another couple of minutes then add the soy sauce and vinegar. Taste and add extra vinegar, soy, sesame oil or chilli if necessary.
5. Divide the cooked noodles between two bowls, then add the soup. Sprinkle the extra spring onions and coriander on top.
To see the soups made by other participants int he Crazy Cooking Challenge, click on the link below:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…