One thing I am always happy to find another recipe for is chicken. It goes with so many flavours and can be used in so many different ways. One of my favourite easy ways of cooking it is baking it in the oven with various vegetables, herbs and spices. So, this month when I was paired with Birthe from New Yorker by Heart for the Secret Recipe Club, I began by searching through her chicken recipes. As she has been blogging since 2006 and blogs almost every day, I could only look at a small handful of recipes and there were loads to choose from. I picked this one in the end as it contained flavours I love and I knew it would be easy to make after work. I also fancied something with chicken and olives. I made one or two changes such as adding the sliced yellow pepper, using a fresh rather than dried chilli pepper and using dried rosemary instead of fresh, but basically the recipe was the same, although the original is here.
Ingredients – Serves 2
Enough chicken for 2 people (I used breasts but legs or thighs would be good)
Handful of olives
Handful of cherry tomatoes
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 chilli pepper, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
200ml chicken stock (or white wine)
2 tbsp flour, mixed with a little salt, pepper, dried thyme, oregano and basil
How to Make Italian Chicken with Olives, Tomatoes and Rosemary
1. Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour mixture.
2. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the crushed garlic and sliced chilli and after about 20 seconds, the chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides.
3. Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish. Surround with the olives, peppers and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with the rosemary and season with black pepper.
4. Pour the stock into the frying pan with the leftover garlic and and chillies. Bring to the boil and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour this over the chicken and vegetables.
5. Cover the dish with foil so it stays moist and doesn’t dry out. Bake in the oven at about 200C for about 40 minutes. Serve with potatoes or bread.