I love chorizo and have been working through my old blog posts to create a recipe index recently. When I look at recipes in the sausage category, I see that more than half of them have chorizo in them. It just makes everything better, meatballs, burgers, omelettes, soups. I really should try a few variations, but let me share just one more recipe with you before I do that.
I found this recipe on the Hairy Biker’s website after realising that although I love seeing them cook, I don’t think I remember ever actually making one of their recipes before. As there is the Hairy Bikers – Bloggers Know Best Challenge, hosted by Jo’s Kitchen, I felt it was high time I discovered their recipes in my own kitchen. My love of chorizo naturally led me to try their recipe for baked cod with chorizo crust.
I did make a few small changes. I used breadcrumbs I had made myself a couple of weeks earlier, rather than making the breadcrumbs as I made the dish. I also missed out the lime zest from the crust and didn’t put as much salt in, as chorizo has plenty of flavour already. Another change I might make next time would be to not bother with the parmesan cheese at all. I don’t think it really adds a lot to the dish and is not really a perfect match for the lime or the paprika in the chorizo. I also think lemon would work just as well. As you can see, I baked some extra slices of chorizo to serve alongside the fish and also made some small spicy roast potatoes so it was quite a filling dish in the end, although I did have some lettuce too. As I said, I would make a few changes next time, but I love the basic recipe for a chorizo crust and will be making it again. The original recipe can be seen here and the way I made it is below.
Ingredients – serves 2
2 cod fillets
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tbsp grated parmesan
1 tsp dried parsley
How to Make Baked Cod with Chorizo Crust
1. Slice the chorizo and fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well so the flavoured oil coats the breadcrumbs. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes. Then tip onto a plate and leave to cool.
2. Squeeze half the lime juice onto the cod and leave in the fridge to marinate for half an hour.
3. Put the chorizo and breadcrumbs in a food processor and blend until it all resembles breadcrumbs. Then add the parmesan, garlic, parsley, black pepper and salt. Blitz again just to combine all the ingredients.
4. Put the fish on a baking tray. Cover with the breadcrumb mixture and press it down a little.
5. Bake the fish in the oven at 180C for about 15-18 minutes. Serve with extra lime wedges.