Caribbean food week in the UK runs from 24-31 August and what better way to join in at home than to make this easy Caribbean chicken and callaloo curry. It’s packed with healthy vegetables and tender chicken in a spicy coconut milk based sauce. If you’re new to Caribbean food then it’s a great recipe to start with.
The inspiration for this chicken and callaloo curry came after I was sent a hamper of Caribbean products from Grace Foods UK, the UK’s leading Caribbean food supplier. I haven’t cooked much Caribbean food before, except this ackee recipe, so I’m not an expert on it at all. Nevertheless, I do love Caribbean flavours so I was excited to start cooking. As I love curries and spicy stews, I immediately wanted to make a Caribbean inspired curry using the Caribbean curry powder, coconut milk and callaloo. I’d say it’s Caribbean-inspired rather than authentic as I didn’t thoroughly research Caribbean curries before making it. Even so, despite my limited Caribbean food knowledge , it definitely tasted of the Caribbean to me.
If you’ve never had callaloo before then the nearest vegetable to compare it with is spinach and if you can’t find callaloo then you can easily use spinach, either fresh or frozen, as a replacement. It was the first time I’d used callaloo and it went really nicely in the curry. I also used aubergine as I had one that needed to be used up but you could substitute it for other vegetables. Sweet potato would be lovely. If you wanted a hotter curry you could add extra chilli peppers too. I just added one but of course, it’s up to you.
I’m hoping to share another Caribbean recipe later this week but if you feel inspired to cook some Caribbean food then Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s and Tesco are all running promotions on Caribbean food products at the moment.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Jamaican curry powder
- 500g chicken thigh meat, diced into large pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 280g tin callaloo, drained
- Coriander (cilantro), chopped (optional)
- Prepare the marinade at least an hour in advance. Coat the chicken well and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan. Add the onions, ginger, chilli pepper and garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes until softened
- Stir in the extra curry powder and cook for another couple of minutes then add the tomatoes, aubergine and coconut milk. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the callaloo and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice
I am linking this to Tasty Tuesdays at Honest Mum.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary hamper of Caribbean foods to use in creating this recipe but the recipe and opinions are my own.