I always enjoy the hunt for a great new recipe and that’s one of the reasons I love to take part in the Secret Recipe Club every month. Each month we are assigned another blog and our task is to chose a recipe to make from it and then blog about. If possible I like to find something a little different or something I’ve never made before. After all, it wouldn’t be a challenge if I just made a slight variation on an already favourite recipe.
This month I was assigned, Hun… What’s for Dinner? Like me, Cindy is a stay at home mum of 2 and got into cooking when she got married and wanted to be able to eat good food. Unlike me, Cindy has won a few awards for her cooking so I knew there would be some good recipes for me to find. Even so, I didn’t spend long looking. I soon saw these pizza pull aparts and I knew straightaway that I wanted to make them. The hunt was over. I just knew and I was right.
I made just a few small changes. I used chorizo instead of pepperoni and cheddar instead of mozzarella. I would have added a little basil to the garlic butter but I discovered/remembered too late that I’d run out. I’m sure it would have been lovely but the garlic butter was fantastic brushed over the top of the rolls and I really didn’t feel anything was missing as I ate them. They are yummy – all the flavours of a pizza but in a bread roll. There are so many filling variations that could be made too. Whatever you like in your pizza I challenge you to put inside some of these rolls!
I served the rolls with my favourite simple tomato soup – a recipe that I just keep coming back to. It was suggested to serve them with pizza sauce but I felt like having more tomato than that and I think a tomato soup is the perfect accompaniment.
Ingredients – Serves 4
250g strong bread flour
7g sachet fast action yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
150-200ml warm water
Slices of chorizo or pepperoni (I used 8 but it depend on how many rolls you make)
Cubes of cheese (the same amount as the slices of cured meat)
20g butter, melted
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Pull Apart Pizza Bread Rolls
1. Put the flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl with a dough hook. Add the oil and start the mixer. Pour in about 2/3 of the water slowly. Keep adding a little more until a smooth dough forms. Then continue to knead it in the mixer with the dough hook for 5 minutes.
2. Put the dough in a lightly oiled basin and cover with cling film or a damp tea towel. Leave for about 30 minutes.
3. Cut the dough into equal sized pieces about golf ball sized.
4. Flatten each piece of dough. Put a slice of chorizo in the middle witha piece of cheese on the top and then fold the dough around it. Place the rolls in a lightly oiled oven-proof dish with the seam underneath. Leave a small gap between each ball of dough – they will rise in the oven and join together again.
5. Mix the crushed garlic into the melted butter and then brush the top of the rolls with the melted butter and sprinkle with the grated parmesan.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180C.
7. Serve with tomato soup.
To see what other Secret Recipe Club participants have made, click on the link below:
I am also linking to Tasty Tuesdays at Honest Mum.