Every month I look forward to receiving my Secret Recipe Club assignment. This month was no exception. I was assigned Morsels of Life and even if I hadn’t been stalking that blog in order to write a Secret Recipe Club post, I would still most definitely have wanted to make these healthy chicken tostadas with homemade pico de gallo.
Of course, there were quite a few other recipes I was tempted by too. The roasted butternut squash and spinach gnocchi would have been perfect at this time of year and so would the roasted butternut squash and caramelised onion pizza. But as much as I was tempted by other dishes, I just could not resist the chicken tostadas, especially as they were a great way of using up some leftover roast chicken.
I have eaten tostadas once before, quite a few years ago, but I had never made any myself. It’s always good to try something a little bit new and these homemade chicken tostadas offered a great alternative to the fajitas I so often make.
I loved the freshness of the sliced avocado and the juciness of the tomatoes, onions and coriander in the pico de gallo but what I especially loved was the crispiness of the 2 baked tortillas. You see, these tostadas have not just one but two crunchy tortillas making them almost like a tostada sandwich.
There was just one ingredient I forgot to add. I was planning to add a sliced chilli pepper to the pico de gallo but it was only after we had finished eating everything that I remembered about it. I just didn’t miss it, but of course, a bit of heat would be lovely if chillies are your thing.
If I was being critical there is just one thing I should warn you about. These are messy to eat. The price of those lovely crisp tostadas is juicy tomato and lime juice running down your fingers. Don’t wear your best top to eat these. And if you do, I will accept no responsibility because I’ve warned you and they’re worth it!
- 8 smallish soft tortillas
- Olive oil
- 300g Cooked chicken, cut into bitesized pieces
- 100g Cheese, grated (I used Red Leicester)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Handful of fresh coriander (Cilantro), roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 fresh chilli pepper, finely sliced (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180C, rub a little olive oil onto the tortillas and bake them in the oven for about 5 minutes until they have gone crispy but be careful to take them out before they burn.
- Prepare the pico gallo while the tortillas are cooking or earlier in the day and then leave in the fridge until ready to serve. Just mix all the ingredients together.
- When the tortillas are ready take 4 of them, put some chicken, pico de gallo and a little cheese on each one.
- Put the 4 tortillas under the grill until the cheese melts. Top each tostada with another tostada and top that with a little cheese. Grill them again just until the cheese melts then serve with the sliced avocado and a little more pico de gallo.