This spicy Afghan lamb stew with spinach is a bit like a curry. It's a healthy comfort food meal that can be made in the oven or slow cooker. Perfect served with rice, flatbreads and aubergines in yogurt too!
You may not know a lot about Afghan food but if you like spicy stews and curries then I'm sure you will love this lamb recipe. It has definitely become one of our favourites!
If you like the sound of Aghan food then do take a look at them.
What ingredients do you need for Afghan lamb stew?
To make this Afghan lamb stew you will need:
- diced lamb - leg, shoulder or shank will all work well. Use a cut that is good for stewing.
- an onion
- whole spices: cardamom - crush it slightly so it adds more flavour to the stew
- ground spices: turmeric, nutmeg, chilli powder
- tinned tomatoes
- pine nuts
- yogurt - full fat yogurt works better than reduced fat here.
How to cook this Afghan lamb stew?
There are two ways you can cook this. It works in the oven or in the slow cooker. Whichever way you cook it, it's super easy and perfect for an easy weeknight or weekend dinner.
If you are short of time then you can just put everything straight in the slow cooker.
If you have slightly more time then brown the lamb first and then put everything in the slow cooker.
If you are cooking it traditionally then you start by browning the lamb and cooking the spices and onions a little on the stove top and then finish cooking it in the oven.
What can you serve with this Afghan lamb Stew?
This stew is delicious with such a tasty sauce. I like to eat it with rice, flatbreads and some vegetables sides. One of our favourite sides to serve with it is this aubergine and yogurt dish.
Storing and reheating
Once cooked, this stew keeps really well in the fridge for up to three days. Like lots of stews and curries, the flavours have time to get better and better overnight and we think it's even more tasty the next day!
You can reheat it in a saucepan on the hob or in the microwave.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, this stew is perfect for batch cooking and it's a great idea to freeze some of it for those days when you don't want or don't have time to cook.
It will keep in the freezer for at least three months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating as above.
Are you looking for more spicy recipes?
Afghan Lamb Stew
- 300 g lamb leg diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods slighly crushed
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
Slow Cooker Method
- Put the lamb, onion, garlic, all the spices and the tinned tomatoes in the slow cooker. Leave to cook on low for 8 hours.
- Brown the onion in a saucepan, add the lamb, garlic and spices, then the tinned tomatoes. Then put in the oven on a low heat for about 2 hours.
Oven and Slow Cooker Methods
- Take the stew out of the oven or the slow cooker. Add the spinach to the stew. When the spinach has wilted, take off the heat and stir in the yogurt. Serve the lemon alongside to squeeze over the stew.
- Put the pine nuts in a dry frying pan and toast until golden. Keep shaking the pan so they don't burn.
- Serve the pine nuts on the side to sprinkle over the stew.