Next time you fancy a twist on a no mayo coleslaw why not make this light carrot and celeriac salad? Easy to make with a hint of mustard, it's a delicious side salad all year round!
I like celeriac. I'd go as far as to say celeriac is one of my favourite root vegetables. Having said that, I'm wondering why the only other celeriac recipe I have on here so far is a whole roasted one.
As well as roasting celeriac putting it in soups, it is a brilliant vegetable to put in a coleslaw. This celeriac slaw is so simple to make with just carrots and spring onions and then an oil, mustard and vinegar dressing.
If you're wondering what to make with it then I'm sure you'll love this!
What's in this carrot and celeriac slaw?
You don't need many ingredients to make this simple celeriac carrot salad. You just need:
- Celeriac - peel it well to get rid of the skin and any dirt that is trapped in hte knobbly root bit
- Onions - I use spring onions in this usually but you can replace them with brown onions or red onions
- oil - I use extra virgin olive oil
- vinegar - I use white wine vinegar but you could use cider vinegar instead. Red wine vinegar would also work but might give the the celeriac a slighly pinkish colour
- mustard - I use English mustard as we like a strong mustard. However, you could replace it with your favourite mustard.
The mustard dressing gives it a lovely kick and you can add as much or as little as you like. I know that mustard is one of those flavours that some people love to be really in-your-face and others prefer more of a subtle hint!
How do you make this celeriac and carrot salad?
I use a food processor to grate the carrot and celeriac but you could use hand held grater instead.
To make the dressing I put all the ingredients in a jug and mix them well with a fork.
It's one of those recipes that you can put together in under 15 minutes!
What to eat with carrot and celeriac salad?
I often serve this carrot and celeriac salad with grilled fish as the vinegar in the dressing goes really well with it. It's also delicious with leftover roasted chicken or pork. Or why not try it with grilled halloumi?
If you're having a barbecue then it makes a great side salad too.
How long does this carrot and celeriac salad keep for?
This healthy celeriac coleslaw is a great side salad to prepare in advance. Once you've made it then it keeps well in the fridge for at least 2 days.
Celeriac Recipe Ideas
Celeriac is perfect in salads like this one. Often it is used in celeriac remoulade which is similar to this but with mayonnaise.
Celeriac is also delicious roasted. Just chop it up and roast it in the oven with oil and a few herbs. It's a great side dish to a roast dinner.
How do you like to eat it?
More salad recipes you might like
Carrot and Celeriac Salad
- 150 g carrots
- 150 g celeriac
- 2 spring onions
- ½ teaspoon English mustard Use more if using French Mustard
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch salt
- Grate the celeriac and carrot in a food processor, using the fine grater setting.
- Slice the spring onion finely and put it in a bowl with the carrot and celeriac.
- Mix up the ingredients for the dressing. Shake in a jar or use small hand whisk. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir in.