This beef and tomato bake makes a delicious one pot meal. It's from a traditional family recipe and is a real favourite with kids and adults. It's perfect to reheat the next day too!
I'm trying really hard at the moment to plan meals that are suitable for the two children as well as for me and my husband to eat later. This beef and tomato bake is one of the successes, which is largely thanks to a generous amount of streaky bacon which just gives it so much flavour.
It's a real comfort food meal. The type of meal that warms you up and you just can't help going back for seconds. Luckily, it lasted a couple of days and was just as tasty reheated in the microwave as was when it first came out of the oven.
A great meal to cook once eat twice!
In fact, this beef and tomato bake was an ideal meal for my Cook Once Eat Twice challenge. I ate a little bit of it with the children when they had their tea, I had another helping with my husband later in the evening and there was even some left over to eat the next day. Perfect.
Because I'd made dinner earlier in the day and didn't need to do anything in the evening we had so much more time to relax and even though my husband is not a big fan of minced meat, he actually liked this too. It must be the bacon!
I admit it's not the prettiest of meals. I took so many pictures but there were only a couple I was happy with. It's hard to make a one-pot dish look attractive sometimes. Just trust me, it is far tastier than it looks.
This Beef and Tomato Bake is a great recipe for batch cooking. Do take a look at my cook once eat twice recipe collection for more batch cooking inspiration.
Beef and tomato bake recipe
Cook Once Eat Twice: Beef and Tomato Bake
- 150 g streaky bacon chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 500 g beef mince
- 200 g basmati rice
- 6 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 300ml water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat a little oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and fry the bacon, pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes just until they begin to brown a little.
- Add the mince. Keep breaking it up with a wooden spoon and cook until is is browned (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the rice and cook for just 30 seconds then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil.
- Put a lid on the casserole dish and put it in the oven at 180c for 20-25 minutes
More recipes you might like
If you like spicy recipes then do check out my one pot Puerto Rican chicken recipe.
Places I'm sharing this Beef and Tomato Bake