Satisfy those creamy pasta cravings with this easy bacon leek and mushroom pasta. It's a really simple midweek meal and an ideal recipe for using up leftovers too!
This delightful bacon, mushroom and leek pasta recipe was actually created as a way of using up leftovers. I had half a leek, a half-eaten pack of bacon and the leftovers of a pot of cream. It made a delicious quick dinner and one that I have happily planned to make again and again since then.
I think mushrooms, bacon and leeks is quite a classic combination and they are just perfect with this pasta. I love serving this sauce with penne as the sauce gets trapped in the middle of the tubes. It is so good! If you're a fan of creamy pasta then I know you'll love it.
Another great thing about this dish is how quick it is to make. You can prepare the sauce in the time it takes the pasta to cook. Just make sure that the bacon pieces are well cooked and caramelising on the outside before you add the cream - It makes all the difference and gets lots of extra flavour into the sauce.
What ingredients do you need for this creamy pasta?
To make this easy creamy bacon, mushroom and leek pasta recipe you'll need:
- Pasta - Use whatever is your favourite shape. We like penne but any pasta shape will work.
- Bacon - If you like smoky bacon, use it! It adds a delicious flavour. If you prefer unsmoked bacon that's fine too! You can also use pancetta, bacon lardons or ham. It's even great with chorizo
- Mushrooms - I usually use regular white mushrooms or chestnut mushooms. Again, you can be flexible with the kind of mushrooms you use.
- Double cream - Single cream will also work but double cream is a little richer. You can also use creme fraiche.
- Seasoning - I usually just add black pepper to this but you can add a little salt if you feel it needs it.
How do you make creamy bacon mushroom and leek pasta?
This simple pasta recipe is really easy to make. You can make the sauce at the same time as the pasta is cooking.
First, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the pasta.
Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and add the bacon pieces. When it's beginning to brown, add the leeks and mushrooms.
When they have softened add the cream and simmer gently until heated through. Drain the pasta and stir in. Add some of the water too if necessary to get the right creamy consistency.
Top with some fresh herbs if you have them and a little parmesan cheese.
Can you make this pasta recipe healthier?
Yes! If you want to make this pasta dish a little healthier then reduce the cream and replace some of it with stock. You'll still get a deliciously creamy pasta sauce but without quite so many calories!
How else can you adapt this dish?
As I just said, you can reduce the cream a little to make it a healthier dish.
You can also vary the ingredients a little. Be flexible with the kind of bacon you use. You can even use sausages instead.
You can also add a few extra vegetables. Why not add a a spoonful of frozen peas the pasta as it's cooking? Or add onions and garlic instead of the leeks or as well as them.
What can you do with the leftovers?
You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. I usually then reheat any leftover creamy pasta in the microwave.
If you reheat it in a pan you will need to add a little water to stop it sticking. You can also bake it in the oven covered with a little aluminium foil. It will take about 15-20 minutes to heat through depending on how much you have left.
More recipes you might like
Creamy Bacon Leek and Mushroom Pasta
- 150 g pasta
- ½ leek finely sliced
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 100 ml double cream
- Pinch black pepper and salt
- Put the pasta on to boil.
- Put a little oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the bacon until beginning to brown.
- Add the leeks and mushrooms and continue to cook until they have softened.
- If the pan seems a little dry then add a little water from the pasta pan rather than extra oil.
- Add the cream and season with lots of black pepper. As soon as the cream has heated through, add the pasta and stir to coat with the sauce.
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this creamy bacon, leek and mushroom pasta or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.