Tasty recipe for lemon and courgette spaghetti using a spiralizer to chop the courgette. It's flavoured with lemon, parsley and black pepper and makes a great midweek meal.
One thing I am aiming to do this year is eat more fruit and vegetables. With that in mind I decided to get my Spiralizer out of the cupboard again. I've had it for a couple of months and this lemon and courgette spaghetti was one of the first things I used the spiralizer for. The spiralizer cuts the courgette into long thin ribbons which are perfect with spaghetti or in salads and stir fries.
I've seen some recipes which replace the spaghetti entirely with courgette but I know that wouldn't fill me up. I'd be looking for snacks in a couple of hours. I still wanted to eat pasta, just a pasta dish filled with vegetables too.
This spaghetti fits the bill perfectly. It's light and fresh from the courgette, herbs and lemon but the creme fraiche gives it that comfort food factor too.
It's quick to prepare and cook and although I used my spiralizer for the courgettes, you could still make it if you didn't have one just by slicing the courgettes thinly. I have to admit, I can rarely be bothered to use my spiraliser these days!
What ingredients do you need for lemon and courgette spaghetti?
To make this tasty vegetarian pasta recipe you'll need:
- Spaghetti - If you are spiralising your vegetables then spaghetti works best but if you're just going to slice the courgette then feel free to use any shape of pasta.
- Garlic - Use freshly crushed garlic if possible but garlic paste also works.
- Creme fraiche - I like the slighly more acidic taste of creme fraiche but you can use double cream instead.
- Lemon - You need to use a fresh lemon to juice it for the sauce. If you want to make it super lemony you could even grate some of the zest before you juice it.
- Seasoning - Lots of black pepper and a little salt
- Herbs - I think chopped fresh parsley goes really well with the lemon and courgette in this pasta dish but you could use basil instead
- Parmesan - I like to add a little on top but you can use a different cheese instead. As parmesan isn't vegetarian you might want to adapt it to suit your diet too.
How do you make lemon and courgette spaghetti?
This recipe is so simple and there is a full recipe card further down the post too.
Boil the spaghetti and just before it is ready, add the spiralized courgette. Then drain, return to the pan and add all the other ingredients. Stir to heat through.
If you are using chopped rather than spiralized courgette you can stir fry it for a couple of minutes instead of cooking it with the pasta. Then add the spaghetti and sauce ingredients (garlic, lemon, creme fraiche, herbs and seasoning) to the pan with the courgette.
What can you do with the leftovers?
Personally, I think this lemon courgette spaghetti recipe is best served and eaten when freshly cooked. However, any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours. You can then reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan with a splash of extra water.
You will find that the spaghetti will probably absorb more of the sauce and the dish will be a bit softer overall when reheated
More recipes you might like
Why not try my courgetti salad with baharat seasoning?
Lemon and Courgette Spaghetti
- 150 g spaghetti
- 2 medium-sized courgette thinly sliced or spiralized
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon A little grated parmesan
- Cook the spaghetti
- When the spaghetti is almost ready, add the courgette and continue to cook for another minute. Alternatively, stir fry the courgette in another pan and then add the other ingredients to it.
- Drain the pasta and courgette and return to the pan.
- Add the garlic, creme fraiche, half of the lemon juice, salt, black pepper and most of the parsley. Stir in. Taste and add the rest of the lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- Serve with a little parmesan cheese and the rest of the chopped parsley.
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this lemon and courgette spaghetti. I love to get feedback from readers.