Perfect week night recipe for lemon and courgette spaghetti. It's flavoured with lemon, parsley and black pepper and makes a great midweek meal. I also like to add some chilli pepper too for a bit of a spicy kick!
When I first created this simple but delicious lemon and courgette pasta recipe, it was partly because I was aiming to eat more fruit and vegetables. I had a spiralizer and I really wanted to use it. The spiralizer cuts the courgette into long thin ribbons which are perfect with spaghetti or in salads and stir fries.
Some recipes replace the spaghetti entirely with courgette but I know that wouldn't fill me up. I'd be looking for snacks in a couple of hours. I still wanted to eat pasta, just a pasta dish filled with vegetables too.
This spaghetti fits the bill perfectly. It's light and fresh from the courgette, herbs and lemon but the creme fraiche gives it that comfort food factor too. Plus, the chilli I add gives it a delicious spicy kick!
It's also quick to prepare and cook. But, I have to admit that I find the spiralizer far too much effort these days. It's quicker to just slice the courgettes rather than get the spiralizer out of the cupboard, assemble it and then wash it afterwards.
What ingredients do you need for lemon and courgette spaghetti?
To make this tasty vegetarian pasta recipe you'll need:
- Pasta- If you are spiralising your vegetables then spaghetti works best but if you're just going to slice the courgette then feel free to use any shape of pasta.
- Garlic - Use freshly crushed garlic if possible but garlic paste also works.
- Creme fraiche - I like the slighly more acidic taste of creme fraiche but you can use double cream instead.
- Lemon - You need to use a fresh lemon to juice it for the sauce. If you want to make it super lemony you could even grate some of the zest before you juice it.
- Seasoning - Lots of black pepper and a little salt
- Chilli pepper - I didn't add a chilli pepper when I first published this recipe but now I do every time! It makes it super tasty.
- Herbs - I think chopped fresh parsley goes really well with the lemon and courgette in this pasta dish but you could use basil instead
- Parmesan - I like to add a little on top but you can use a different cheese instead. As parmesan isn't vegetarian you might want to adapt it to suit your diet too.
How do you make lemon and courgette spaghetti?
This recipe is so simple and there is a full recipe card further down the post too.
Boil the spaghetti and just before it is ready, add the slice (or spiralized) courgette.
In another pan, stir fry the chilli pepper and garlic.
Then drain the pasta (reserving a little water to stir into the sauce if necessary) and add it to the pan with the chilli pepper and garlic. Add the lemon juice, creme fraiche, herbs and seasoning. Stir to heat through.
If you are using chopped rather than spiralized courgette you can stir fry it for a couple of minutes with the garlic and chilli pepper instead of cooking it with the pasta. Then add the spaghetti and sauce ingredients (lemon, creme fraiche, herbs and seasoning) to the pan with the courgette.
Adaptations and Substitutions
Feel free to adapt this a little to suit your tastes. You could stir fry a few more vegetables with the garlic and chilli pepper if you want. For example you could add onions and peppers.
Instead of using creme fraiche you could use cream, coconut cream or thick coconut milk
What can you do with the leftovers?
Personally, I think this lemon courgette spaghetti recipe is best served and eaten when freshly cooked. However, any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours. You can then reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan with a splash of extra water.
You will find that the spaghetti will probably absorb more of the sauce and the dish will be a bit softer overall when reheated.
Lemon and Courgette Spaghetti
- 150 g spaghetti
- 2 medium-sized courgette thinly sliced or spiralized
- 1-2 chilli peppers use more if you want it hotter!
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon A little grated parmesan
- Cook the spaghetti.
- When the spaghetti is almost ready, add the courgette and continue to cook for another minute. Alternatively, stir fry the courgette with the garlic and chilli pepper in the next step
- Heat a little oil in a large pan. Fry the garlic and chilli pepper for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Drain the pasta and courgette and add it to the pan with the garlic and chilli.
- Add the creme fraiche, half of the lemon juice, salt, black pepper, a little parmesan and most of the parsley. Stir in. Taste and add the rest of the lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- Serve with a little parmesan cheese and the rest of the chopped parsley.
More recipes you might like
Why not try my courgetti salad with baharat seasoning?
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this lemon and courgette spaghetti. I love to get feedback from readers.
You can also stay up to date by following on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks for sharing with #SpiralizerSaturday - I'm still not a big fan of courgette but I think the lemon flavour sounds nice!
Thank you! I realise now I was going to try some more spiralizer recipes in January but I completely forgot!
This looks lovely - so fresh and light! I like that you combined pasta and spiralized veggies, since like you, I would be pretty hungry afterward if I omitted the pasta entirely.
I'm glad you like it!
Courgetti is so good and this dish looks like my ideal meal! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x
So pleased you like it!
The Free From Fairy
This looks and sounds simple and delicious! Just the thing for January. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I found you through #Tastytuesdays.
I'm glad you like it!
So gorgeous! Love courgetti! Thanks for linking up to #Tastytuesdays
As always you're welcome!
I make courgette spaghetti, but I didn't try to mix them with regular spaghetti, that is such a great idea.
It's great because you feel you aren't missing out, you are still eating pasta but bulking it out with the courgetti means you eat less of it without really noticing!
This is one fine pasta dish! I love the combo of zucchinis and lemon!
Thank you Katerina!
This looks so delicious! I love the combination of courgettes and lemon and I can imagine that a little creme fraiche would work really well with those flavours. Definitely pinning for future reference as, like you, my husband and I are really trying to eat more healthily in 2016 🙂 Eb x
Thank you. Hope you enjoy it!
This sounds gorgeous - just the kind of meal that I love. I don't yet have a Spiralizer but have been thinking about getting one for ages. This may have just given me that last push I needed!
I really like my spiraliser but tend to use it a lot then forget about it for a few weeks. I hope you fun wit it if you get one!