These tasty Mexican scrambled eggs make a great healthy breakfast or light lunch. They're quick and easy to make and full of flavour. Great for a spicy breakfast or brunch.
The inspiration for these Mexican scrambled eggs
A few years ago I went on holiday to Mexico. I came back inspired to cook lots of Mexican dishes and I have enjoyed cooking Mexican recipes ever since. I've tried stews, salads and of course huevos rancheros.
After unwittingly putting a whole habanero chilli pepper in my mouth during one unforgettable breakfast, I have to say that the breakfasts are the most memorable dishes from that particular holiday.
When I heard that the theme for this month's Recipe Redux was a vacation inspired recipe, I decided it was time to revisit Mexican breakfasts and make a healthy and delicious Mexican scrambled eggs.
What goes in these Mexican scrambled eggs?
I used lots of spring onions and coriander to give the eggs a healthy fresh green vibe. In case that wasn't enough green, I also wilted a few handfuls of spinach to serve under the scrambled eggs. To give a bit of a kick I added some red chilli pepper, although not a traditional Mexican one - I am staying well away from habaneros at breakfast time these days!
I also grilled some halved cherry tomatoes and added them to the scrambled egg right at the end as I didn't want the tomatoes to break up and make the dish watery. By grilling them they were beautifully caramelised and gave a lovely juicy bite every time I ate one.
I just wish I had the motivation to make Mexican scrambled eggs every day for breakfast. My normal breakfast is a couple of slices of toast with a little cream cheese, coffee and some fruit if I am not in too much of a rush. This breakfast is definitely higher in protein and much more filling than just toast. It's also good to feel you've already eaten a portion of vegetables before the day has hardly started!
Mexican Scrambled Eggs
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red chilli pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- 20 g hard cheese I used Cheddar
- 3 handfuls spinach
- Black pepper
- 1 slice of toast
- Put the cherry tomatoes under the grill.
- Put the spinach in a saucepan with a little water and cook until it begins to wilt then take it off the heat and drain it in a colander.
- Add a little milk to the eggs and beat lightly with a fork.
- Put a little oil in a saucepan and cook half of the spring onion and most of the chilli pepper for about a minute then add the egg mixture.
- Stir the egg as it cooks. When it is nearly ready, stir in the rest of the spring onion and most of the coriander.
- When the egg is ready, take it off the heat and stir in the cheese and black pepper.
- Spray a little oil onto the toast. Push any remaining water out of the spinach and put it on top of the toast. Top that with the scrambled egg, cherry tomatoes and the remaining coriander and chilli slices.
More Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
How about these little mini frittatas?
Pin for Later!
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this. Or any of the other recipes here on Searching for Spice. You can leave a comment below!