Soup or pizza? Or how about combining them both with this delicious pizza soup recipe? It has to be the ultimate comfort food choice for an easy tasty dinner!
I love soup and I love pizza. How about you? I know I'm not alone. Well, one of my kids won't eat pizza but most people I know love it. Pizza is a favourite comfort food for so many people and soup is just so warming and healthy, especially when homemade. So, why not combine soup and pizza?
It's not as crazy as you think!
The great thing about this pizza soup recipe is that it really does have ALL the flavours of pizza in it. It also has melted cheesy toast floating on the top of the soup! Like a mini pizza on top of a bowl of comfort food soup. Can you imagine anything better?
This pizza soup recipe combines two of my favourite easy weekend lunches: homemade soup and cheese melted on toast. What I hadn't done before was put them together.
The inspiration for this recipe
I have to admit that the idea to call this pizza soup was not all mine. But as soon as I saw it I just knew I just had to follow up on it. I took the basic idea from another site that has now disappeared and made quite a few adaptations. The original recipe contains chorizo instead of salami, wine and stock.
Ingredients for this pizza soup recipe
To make this pizza soup recipe you'll need:
- Chorizo - I like to use cooking chorizo rather than those thin slices of chorizo as they have a tendency to just break up in the soup. If you have get chunky peperoni slices or another spicy sausage you could use that instead.
- Vegetables - I've used bell pepper, red onion and mushrooms. These are all typical pizza toppings but you could of course add different veggies. Sweetcorn is often found on pizza for example. Courgette (zucchini) or aubergine (eggplant) would also work well.
- Garlic - I like to use a freshly crushed clove of garlic but lazy garlic puree or garlic powder are all fine.
- Balsamic vinegar - This just adds a slight hint of sourness to the soup.
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- Herbs and spices - I use a little dried oregano in the soup but you could use dried basil or fresh herbs if you have them. I also often add some fresh basil. As I like spices and can't resist making this into a spicy soup, I also add a generous amount of chilli flakes. You could use a fresh chilli pepper instead or add some jalapenos from a jar.
- Seasoning - A little salt and black pepper.
- Bread - I like to use a baguette as the slices work so well toasted and are the right shape to top the pizza soup. However, you can just use regular sliced bread. You may just need to cut the crusts off to make the pieces a little smaller so they fit the soup bowls
- Mozzarella - You can use hard grated mozzarella or a ball of mozzarella. If you use a ball, squeeze the slices slightly between two pieces of kitchen roll to get rid of any excess moisture before making the cheese toasts.
How could you vary this pizza soup recipe?
Another popular pizza topping is pepperoni so why not use pepperoni instead of the chorizo? Or use bacon or ham.
If you want to make it into a vegetarian soup then leave out the chorizo. You could add a pinch of smoked paprika to get that same smoky flavour.
You could also vary the vegetables a little. Sweetcorn would go well as would some diced aubergine (eggplant) or courgette (zucchini).
What does this pizza soup taste like?
Trust me, this soup really does taste of pizza! The soup soaks into the cheesy bread too making it a delicious sponge for all those Italian flavours.
Can you make this soup in advance?
You can make the soup in advance but it's best to make the cheesy toast topping when you are going to eat the soup. They are not as nice if you have to reheat them.
Storing and reheating
If you have leftover pizza soup then it will keep for at least three days in the fridge in a covered containger. You can reheat it in a saucepan or in the microwave.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, this recipe does not make a huge batch of soup but you can increase the quantities and then freeze some of it for later. Before eating, defrost it in the fridge overnight and then reheat in a saucepan or the microwave.
Pizza Soup Recipe
- 100 g chorizo sliced or diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 slices bread
- 100 g mozzarella
- Cook the chorizo in a saucepan until it starts to crisp up and release oil.
- Add the chopped pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until they soften.
- Then add the balsamic vinegar, oregano, chilli flakes, black pepper and chopped tomatoes. Fill the can ⅔ full of water again and pour the water on top. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the fresh basil.
- Toast the bread and top with the mozzarella cheese. If using a ball of mozzarella, slice and then squeeze the slices between kitchen paper to get rid of excess water before toasting.
- Put the toasts under the grill (broiler) until the cheese is melting.
- Put the cheesy toasts on top of the soup. Serve immediately.
More Soup Recipes
Pin for later
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this pizza soup or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.