Soup or pizza? Or how about combining them both with this delicious pizza soup recipe? It has to be the ultimate comfort food choice for an easy tasty dinner!
Sometimes you come across an idea or a recipe and you just know you have to make it. That was how I felt when I saw Pizza in a Bowl Soup on Jane's Adventures in Dinner. Pizza has to be a favourite comfort food and soup is just so warming and healthy when homemade. The great thing about this pizza soup recipe is that it really does have the flavours of pizza in it. It also has melted cheesy toast floating on the top! Can you imagine anything better?
This pizza soup recipe combines two of my favourite easy weekend lunches: homemade soup and cheese melted on toast. What I hadn't done before was have them together.
How did I adapt this pizza soup from the original recipe?
I took the basic idea from and made quite a few adaptations. Firstly I used chorizo instead of salami as it has so much more flavour. I didn't put any wine or stock in the soup but I did add a dash of balsamic vinegar.
How could you vary this pizza soup recipe?
Another popular pizza topping is pepperoni so why not use pepperoni instead of the chorizo? Or use bacon or ham.
If you want to make it into a vegetarian soup then leave out the chorizo. Then add a pinch of smoked paprika to get that same smoky flavour.
You could also vary the vegetables a little. Sweetcorn would go well as would some diced aubergine (eggplant) or courgette (zucchini).
What does this pizza soup taste like?
Trust me, this soup really does taste of pizza! The soup soaks into the cheesy bread too making it a delicious sponge for all those Italian flavours. If only I'd had a bit more time to try and get a good picture. It may not look great, but trust me, it's worth making.
Can you make this soup in advance?
You can make the soup in advance but it's best to make the cheesy toast topping when you are going to eat the soup. They are not as nice if you have to reheat them.
Pizza Soup Recipe
- 100 g chorizo sliced or diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 slices bread
- 40 g grated mozzarella
- Cook the chorizo in a saucepan until it starts to crisp up and release oil.
- Add the chopped pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until they soften.
- Then add the balsamic vinegar, oregano and chopped tomatoes. Fill the can ⅔ full of water again and pour the water on top. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the fresh basil, chilli flakes and black pepper.
- Toast the bread and top with the mozzarella cheese. Put the bread on top of the soup and put the soup bowls under the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
More Soup Recipes
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this. Or any of the other recipes here on Searching for Spice. You can leave a comment below!