This spicy Chinese chicken curry is packed with healthy green beans and carrots. It is also a great meal for batch cooking and making ahead.
I love curries. I really could happily eat curry a few times a week and probably not get tired of it. This time I decided to make a Chinese Chicken Curry which is slightly different from the Indian or Thai curries I usually make but equally delicious.
What I love about homemade curries is that they are so healthy as well as tasty. I used green beans and carrots in this one but you could use any vegetables you wanted. Cauliflower or broccoli would be lovely and so would all the seasonal squash that are around right now.
I used cornflour to coat the chicken in before stir frying it. It's a great way of making sure the chicken stays really moist and tender and also thickens the curry sauce as it reduces too.
If, like me, you struggle to find time to cook every night then one of the best things is that it reheats really well so it can easily last for 2 meals. I try to batch cook as often as I can as it makes life so much easier!
What can you serve with this Chinese chicken curry?
I usually serve this with plain jasmine rice but you can make some egg fried rice if you want. If you don't have jasmine rice then just use whatever rice you have. I always have basmati rice at home as I cook a lot of Indian curries and that is fine too. You could even serve it over noodles.
How could you adapt this Chinese curry?
As ever, recipes are there to be adapted. You can vary the vegetables in this curry. You could add aubergine (eggplant), courgette (zucchini), mange tout, sugar snap peas or baby sweetcorn. In fact, just use whatever vegetables you like in a curry. Just be aware that you may need to adapt the cooking time for certain vegetables to make sure everything is cooked through.
If you want to make a vegetarian or vegan Chinese curry then replace the chicken with tofu.
If the sauce hasn't reduced as much as you want or you prefer a thicker sauce then add a little more cornflour dissolved in water just before you finish cooking.
More Chicken Curry Recipes
Curries are among my favourite recipes and I have lots more recipes too. Why not check out my collection of easy homemade curries from scratch? Here are just some of my chicken curries:
You might also like my easy spicy recipes collection!
Chinese Chicken Curry
- 200 g chicken breast meat sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 piece of ginger finely diced
- 1-2 chilli peppers sliced, depending on how hot you would like it to be
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 carrot cut into strips
- 2 handfuls green beans
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 600 ml chicken stock
- Coat the chicken in the cornflour.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or frying pan. Fry the chicken for a couple of minutes until it is sealed on all sides. Take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add a litle more oil and gently fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli pepper for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the spices.
- Cook for about a minute then add the carrots, sugar and stock. Return the chicken to the pan too. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Give it a stir every so often and add any other vegetables after 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.