I promise you'll fall in love with this mango chicken recipe! Chicken marinated in mango vinegar, griddled and served with a fruity mango salsa. It's chicken mango heaven!
Since making the mango and turkey stir fry recently I've become very into mango in savoury dishes. It goes fantastically well in a salad or salsa and is great with white meat.
What I have also become addicted to in the past week is Maille Mango Vinegar, a blend of vinegar and mango puree. It is sharp from the vinegar but sweet from the mango and is a lovely irresistable orange colour. I love marinating chicken or turkey in it with a little olive oil before cooking on the griddle, which is exactly what I did with this recipe.
Making a homemade salsa is another sign that the seasons are changing. It might be cold and wet at the moment but once we can get the barbecue out in the garden again, this salsa is going to be a staple.
Lovely sweet red tomatoes, cucumber and mango with a generous helping of fresh coriander, and of course more of that mango vinegar. It made me feel that summer was on the way. Or maybe that's being too optimistic.
This recipe is my contribution to the Maille Culinary Challenge. I was recently asked to chose a couple of Maille products to create recipes with and the Maille Mango Vinegar was my first choice.
Maille is well-known for producing gourmet mustards and I do love mustard in cooking. However, I chose the mango vinegar as I wanted to try something that at least for me was a bit new and different. So far I'm delighted with my new discovery.
What if you can't find this mango vinegar?
It would be such a shame if you couldn't make the recipe because you can't get mango vinegar. Even if you can't buy it you can make your own. Blend equal amounts of ripe mango and white wine vinegar. You can store it in an airtight bottle in the fridge for at least a week. Shake well before using. Alternatively you can use mango puree instead of fresh mango.
Can you Adapt this Mango Chicken Recipe?
This recipe is so simple but you could use it as a starting point for another recipe. If you can get strawberry vinegar then you could try it with strawberries instead for example.
More serving suggestions
I love this with rice but you could serve the chicken sliced up and in a wrap. Or how about dicing the chicken and mixing all the ingredients together to make a rice salad. Or how about a pasta salad?
Mango Chicken Recipe with Mango Salsa
- 4 chicken breasts
Ingredients for the Marinade
- 4 tbsp mango vinegar I used Maille vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
Mango Salsa Ingredients
- 1 mango
- 4 tomatoes
- 20 cm cucumber
- 1-2 red chilli peppers
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander cilantro
- 3 tbsp mango vinegar Maille
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Mix up all the ingredients for the marinade. Butterfly the chicken breasts by putting your hand on top of the breast and then carefully cutting through sideways but stopping just before you slice the breast in half. Put the breasts in the marinade. Coat and leave to sit for at least 30 minutes. You can even do this the day before.
- Chop up all the salsa ingredients. Put in a bowl and add the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Mix together and leave to sit until the rest of the meal is ready.
- Brush a griddle pan with oil and place the chicken breasts on the griddle. Cook on a high heat for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the meat is.
- Serve the chicken with the salsa. Drizzle a bit of extra mango vinegar over the top. I also served it with some basmati rice with fresh coriander and lemon juice stirred through.
More recipes you might like!
If you are a real mango lover then you have to try my mango sorbet! It's been one of our favourite recipes during last summer.
If you just want simple chicken recipes using a great marinade then how about one of these?
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this mango chicken recipe with mango salsa. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too. I’ll even send you a FREE printable.