This Asian chicken noodle salad is so tasty! You'll the love the fresh flavours inspired by Vietnamese cuisine. It's easy to make and perfect for an easy dinner, especially as you can make it ahead, making dinner time easy and delicious!
If you love fresh Asian flavours then this chicken noodle salad is something you need to try! It's inspired by Vietnamese flavours and is so tasty as well as being really easy to make and perfect for lunch or dinner.
If you're not a fan of noodles but love these flavous then do also check out my Vietnamese chicken rice salad which has a very similar flavour profile.
Ingredient notes for Asian chicken noodle salad
To make this salad you'll need:
- Noodles - I use thin vermicelli rice noodles but you can use any noodles if you don't have these. It's fine to use fresh noodles or if you use dried noodles then just follow the pack instructions to cook them first. If you use dried noodles then stir a little oil through them after cooking them so they don't stick together.
- Chicken - I use breast meat as that is what my family prefer. However, you can use chicken thighs too.
- Aromatics - I use fresh root ginger, fresh garlic cloves and fresh chilli peppers. Although it is often fine to use a paste instead, in this recipe I do feel using fresh ingredients works better. They are fried along with the chicken and add lots of flavour to the salad.
- Lime juice - this is for the dressing. I usually use a fresh lime but you can use lime juice from a bottle too.
- Honey - I used a honey with ginger in for extra flavour but you can use any honey you like.
- Soy sauce - I use light soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Toasted sesame oil
- Vegetables - I used cabbage and carrot. Feel free to add a few extra vegetables if you'd like.
- Coriander leaves(cilantro)
- Nuts - I used peanuts but I often use cashew nuts. They are optional but add a lovely crunch if you like nuts. I usually toast them for a minute or two in a dry frying pan first.
How to make Asian chicken noodle salad
It's very easy to make this salad and there is a full recipe card further down the page too. First fry the ginger, chilli pepper and garlic in a wok and when they are beginning to go golden and crisp up, add the chicken. Stir fry until cooked and then set aside.
Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing. Prepare the vegetables and the noodes. Mix everything together.
Then add the chicken and mix in too. Serve topped with more fresh coriander, the nuts and with some lime wedges.
Can you adapt this Asian chicken noodle salad?
Yes of course! Free free to swap in different vegetables depending on what you have.
If you don't have fish sauce for example, you can miss it out. Always taste the dressing so it's easy to adapt the ingredients as you're making it. You could use a little more soy sauce. Use less sesame oil if you are not keen on the flavour. Use more lime and add some zest too for more of a citrus kick.
If you don't have honey, use a teaspoon or two of sugar instead.
Can you make it with leftover roast chicken?
Yes, you can. Instead of cooking the chicken with the ginger, garlic and chilli pepper, mix the aromatics into the dressing instead. I would crush the garlic, grate the ginger and finely slice the chilli pepper.
Can you make it in advance?
Yes, I often make this salad earlier in the day so it saves time in the evening. I just need to serve it out. That also means it's a great meal to make when everyone is eating at different times.
Storing the leftovers
Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. This means it's great for meal prep too.
Asian Chicken Noodle Salad
- 400 g rice noodles Feel free to use a different kind of noodle if you want
- 300 g chicken breast sliced into strips
- 15 g root ginger cut into thin batons
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 1-2 chilli peppers cut into thin strips
Ingredients for the dressing
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Ingredients for the salad
- 200 g cabbage sliced thinly
- 60 g carrot grated
- 15 g coriander leaves (cilantro) chopped
- 30 g peanuts (optional) can be replaced with cashew nuts
- Heat a little oil in a wok and fry the ginger, garlic and chilli pepper for a couple of minutes until beginning to crisp up. Then add the chicken and stir fry until cooked through.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the honey, fish sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and lime juice together.
- In a large bowl put the noodles, cabbage, carrot and coriander. Pour on the dressing and mix together. Then add the chicken and mix again.
- If serving with peanuts, toast them a little in a dry frying pan till beginning to brown.
- Serve the salad topped with a sprinkling of peanuts, a little extra coriander and some lime wedges.
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this Asian Vietnamese inspired chicken noodle salad. I love to get feedback from readers.