Have you tried papas rellenas before? They're crispy fried potato with a spiced minced beef stuffing. So tempting if you like crispy food and a great way of using up leftover mashed potato. They're delicious served with salsa criolla, a quick pickled onion side.
When I found out that this month's Daring Cooks Challenge was to make papas rellenas I was really pleased. This was something I knew I would enjoy. I had heard of papas rellenas but when I looked at the recipe and started to research, I realized I hadn't actually known what they were at all!
Until last month I would not have been able to tell you exactly what papas rellenas were. My limited knowledge of Spanish would have helped me to guess at something stuffed, but that is as much as I would have known. So of course I learnt something new too.
So what are papas rellenas?
Papas rellenas is a Peruvian recipe. They are basically crispy fried mashed potato stuffed with spiced mince meat. The cumin and paprika in the mince give a really nice flavour and the crispy texture of the breadcrumbs with the soft potato and mince inside is very moreish.
What to serve with papas rellenas?
I served them with a salsa criolla. It's a red onion salsa which complements the papas really well. It's good to have something healthy and fresh tasting alongside the fried papas.
Do these take long to make?
If you make these papas with leftover potato it definitely cuts down on the cooking time. You could also make them with leftover mince. That would make the recipe much quicker to prepare.
Papas Rellenas and Salsa Criolla Recipe
Papas Rellenas and Salsa Criolla
- Oil for deep frying
For the Dough
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ egg beaten
Ingredients for the Filling
- 150 g minced beef
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 chilli pepper finely diced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 50 ml beef stock
For the Coating
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- ½ egg beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Ingredients for the Salsa Criolla
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 chilli pepper thinly sliced
- ½ tsp vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
Prepare the Potatoes
- Boil the potatoes and leave to cool. This can be done the day before or use leftover potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes then pass through a sieve to make sure there are no lumps. Alternatively use a potato ricer.
- Add the beaten egg, salt and pepper to the potato. Mix in well by kneading with your fingers.
Prepare the Filling
- Put a little oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic and chilli. When it begins to brown add the minced beef.
- When the minced beef is browned, add the cumin and paprika. Cook for about a minute, stirring, then add the stock.
- Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent it from sticking and to deglaze. Let simmer till the stock has evaporated.
Preparing the Papas Rellenos
- Form the papas by taking a handful of potato. Flatten it. Put a spoonful of mince into the centre and roll the potato around it so the mince is enclosed in the middle.
- Repeat with the rest of the potato mixture. This amount should make about 4.
- Prepare 3 bowls. One with the flour seasoned with salt and cayenne. One with egg and the last one with breadcrumbs. Roll the papas in the flour, dip in the egg and finally roll in the breadcrumbs. Add extra breadcrumbs to the bowl if necessary.
Cooking the Papas Rellenos
- Fill a large saucepan about 1cm with oil. Heat up until a few breadcrumbs sizzle when dropped in.
- Add the papas. Cook for about 2 minutes then turn over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper to soak up excess oil then serve with the Salsa Criolla
How to Make the Salsa Criolla
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. Stir again before serving.
More South American Recipes you Might like
If you like these papas then do check out my other South American recipes:
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make these papas rellenas or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable.