With a deliciously spicy, nutty, coconut and tomato sauce, this Brazilian chicken stew is the perfect comfort food meal! Easy to make and delicious reheated the next day, it makes a great midweek meal.
When I first developed this Brazilian chicken stew recipe, I didn't know much about Brazilian food. After all, I've never been to Brazil. The nearest I've got to South America is Mexico! And a couple of Brazilian restaurants in London.
The most well known Brazilian stew is feijoada. It's a meaty spicy black bean stew and it is so tasty. In fact, I really need to get a recipe for it on here soon.
However, I wanted to try something a little less well known. I love peanuts in curries and stir fries and especially dry roasted ones. They are so addictive I find it hard to stop myself eating them!
The inspiration for this recipe
One of the dishes I had recently in a Brazilian restaurant was a coconut and peanut chicken stew. It was amazing and I really wanted to recreate it at home.
I love finding out about new flavours and trying new recipes so it was time to do some research. I read loads of Brazilian stew recipes and it wasn't long before I had tempted my taste buds so much I just had to try some recipes.
This Brazilian style chicken stew recipe is so tasty! The sauce has all the flavours in I love and I found my self trying to eat every last trace of sauce on the plate. The first time I made it it didn't look that great. Without some fresh coriander to make it look pretty, it didn't look so enticing but as soon as I tasted it I knew it was a keeper!
Can you adapt this Brazilian chicken stew?
You can certainly adapt the recipe. If you don't like your food to be too hot then don't add as many chilli peppers. Alternatively you can just remove the seeds. I often do this so the children will eat our meals too and then have a little bowl of freshly sliced chilli peppers on the table so the rest of us can help ourselves.
You can also add a few vegetables to make it healthier. Sliced peppers work well. Alternatively you can just stir fry some veggies to serve on the side.
What can you serve with this spicy chicken stew?
I love to eat this with rice as it goes so well with all the sauce. It's also great with flatbreads.
Why not add a few tasty toppings too?
I like to add lots of fresh chopped coriander(cilantro), lime wedges and extra dry roasted peanuts. Diced avocado is also great as a topping.
Brazilian Chicken Stew Recipe
Brazilian Chicken Stew
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 small green chilli peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 15 g root ginger
- 400 g chopped tomatoes tinned
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp dry roasted peanuts crushed a little
- 1 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaf or a handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 500 g chicken
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Cook the onion in a saucepan with a little olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Put the garlic, chillies, paprika and ginger into the food processor and blitz. Then add to the onion and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, peanuts, dessicated coconut and coriander. Simmer for 5 minutes then add to the food processor and blitz again.
- Put the chicken into the pan and seal on all sides then return the sauce to the pan. Crumble the stock cube on top and stir to dissolve. Simmer for about 20 minutes as the sauce thickens and reduces.
- When ready add the lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice and extra lemon wedges.