This slow cooker lamb jalfrezi is a delicious spicy lamb curry that's perfect for midweek or a weekend curry night.
This is a sponsored post for Crock-Pot®
As you know, I love making homemade curries and lamb curries are great for slow cooking. Slow cooking makes the lamb super tender and all the delicious spices make it really tasty as well. The great thing about a jalfrezi is that it has spicy stir-fried vegetables stirred in at the end which add a burst of freshness too!
This lamb jalfrezi curry is also the perfect recipe to make this month as October is Crock-tober and I'm just loving using my new Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker.
I've already shared my pressure-cooked chorizo risotto using the sauté and pressure cook settings. Do take a look as it also includes my review of the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker. Creating this lamb jalfrezi recipe was an opportunity for me to try out the slow cook settings as well.
What I Liked about Slow Cooking in the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker
The great thing about the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker is that there are so many settings including one touch meal options which make it really easy to use. Even if you haven't used a slow cooker or pressure cooker before it takes no time at all to get started. I have to say that the fact you can sauté as well as slow cook in the Crock-Pot® makes a big difference to my cooking options. In my previous slow cooker, I would have to start the recipe off on the hob and then transfer the contents to a ceramic bowl to slow cooker. Being able to use the same bowl for everything not only makes it easier but saves on washing up too!
You can purchase the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker here.
Using the Sauté Mode in the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker
I first used the sauté mode by frying the diced onion, ginger and garlic with a little oil. Then I stirred in some of the spices followed by the lamb. I sealed the lamb chunks on all sides and then added the tinned tomatoes.
Using the Slow Cook Modes on the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker
There are two slow cook settings (Low and High) and for this recipe I used the Low setting. The longer and slower the lamb cooks, the better. However, if you were shorter on time but still had a few hours before dinner the High setting would also work. The slow cook function is as simple as pressing a button.
What to do if there's too much Liquid in the Crock-Pot®?
If you find your recipe is too watery at the end of cooking, then you can simply switch back to sauté mode again to let the sauce reduce.
What Makes a Lamb Curry into a Jalfrezi?
The key thing about a jalfrezi is that spiced stir fried vegetables are stirred into the curry just before it is served. The stir-fried vegetables retain some crunch and freshness and combined with the tender slow cooked lamb are a brilliant flavour and texture combination.
Can you Adapt this Crock-Pot® Lamb Jalfrezi?
You can make a jalfrezi with chicken instead of lamb. Just reduce the cooking time as chicken does not need to slow cook for as long. You can even make it with vegetables. Use squash, potatoes, aubergine or cauliflower. Again, they won't need to cook as long as the lamb so reduce the cooking time.
Slow Cooked Lamb Jalfrezi Recipe
Slow Cooker Lamb Jalfrezi
- Crock-Pot Express Multi Cooker
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste Or use freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 chilli pepper diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 6 finger chillies whole but pricked a couple of times, use more of less depending on how hot you want the dish to be
- 400 g lamb shoulder diced
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
Ingredients for the Vegetable Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion cut into chunky slices
- 1 red or green pepper cut into slices
- 2 tomatoes cut into chunky wedges
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- Switch the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker to the SAUTÉ function and set the timer for 10 minutes. Heat the oil and then add the onions, garlic, ginger and diced chilli pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir the spices into the sautéed vegetables along with the finger chillies
- Add the lamb and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and set it to the SLOW COOK function on the Low heat setting for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Heat the oil for the stir fry in a frying pan.
- Cook the vegetables over a high heat, stirring. Stir in the garam masala.
- Stir the stir fried vegetables into the lamb curry.
- Serve immediately with rice and naan breads.
Pin for later!
More lamb curries you might like
If you like lamb curries then do check out my lamb rogan josh and my lamb and spinach curry too. I've even got a recipe collection devoted entirely to homemade curries!
You might also like my easy spicy midweek meals recipe collection!
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this slow cooker lamb jalfrezi. And, if you have a Crock Pot®, what recipes do you like to make in it?
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable!