Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

Dairy-Free Lemon Muffins

These dairy-free lemon muffins are perfect for afternoon tea!   Not too sweet but with a tangy glaze they make an ideal sweet treat.

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

I have to admit that I love muffins!     What could be easier than adding all the ingredients to a big bowl, stirring them together and then spooning into pretty little cases to be baked.   It may just be me but I also find that citrus flavours make me feel healthier too!   That’s got to be a good thing in January.

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

The lemon muffins themselves are not very sweet, most of the sweetness comes from the sweet sticky glaze so although I can’t claim they are healthy, they are at least more of a January than a December muffin!  January may traditionally be the time to give things up but there’s no reason not to have a few treats occasionally.

And for those who need to follow a dairy or lactose free diet, there’s no reason not to still enjoy a great cup of tea alongside these muffins too.

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

The lemon muffins are made with Rice Dream, a dairy free alternative to milk with no added sugars.  Rice Dream is one of the only hypoallergenic dairy alternatives and is free from dairy, lactose, soy, gluten, wheat and nuts.    It also doesn’t compromise on taste.   This means it’s perfect for using in hot drinks like tea and coffee as well as in bakes like these muffins.

We’ve also enjoyed Rice Dream on breakfast cereals, in homemade smoothies and although I’m not a milk drinker, my little boy was quite happy to drink it by itself.

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

This month Rice Dream is launching a ‘try me for free’ campaign.   It will be available on  120,000 packs and if you don’t enjoy it you can get your money back.   So why not try some Rice Dream for free while stocks last?

RRP £1.50 from Tesco and Asda

If you are looking for dairy alternatives then Dream also produce a range of other non-dairy milks as well as ice creams.

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

• ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
    For the icing
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 50g icing sugar

Instructions

1. Put the eggs, sugar, Rice Dream, vegetable oil and lemon extract into a bowl and beat together.
  2. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix together until just combined.
  3. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. Fill them about 2/3 full.
  4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack.
  5. Make the icing by whisking the lemon and icing sugar together. Use a pastry brush to brush it generously over the top of the muffins or just spoon it on.
Recipe Management Powered by Zip Recipes Plugin

Dairy Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

If you’re looking for more dairy-free bakes then why not try my vegan carrot cake?

I am linking these dairy-free lemon muffins to Cook Blog Share at Hijacked by Twins, Recipe of the Week at A Mummy Too and Brilliant Blog Posts at Honest Mum.

Cook Blog Share new logoRecipe of the WeekBrilliant Blog Posts

Disclosure:  This is a sponsored post.  However all opinions are my own.

Dairy-Free Lemon Muffins with Rice Dream

63 thoughts on “Dairy-Free Lemon Muffins

1. silviamagda says:

I am that person that is not into sweets. I love coffee and tea and sometimes I want something kinda sweet to go with it, but not too sweet, like these lemon muffins or a slice of a simple pound cake. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

2. choclette says:

Love lemons in cake. I’d not tried it before, but was quite impressed with Rice Dream. Love the cup and saucer.

ps this has just reminded me to add mine to Cook Once, Eat Twice!

3. Eb Gargano / easypeasyfoodie.com says:

Oooh, these muffins look delicious!! I’ve not heard of Rice Dream but it sounds good. I have no desperate need for dairy-free milk, but I do really like trying different non-dairy milks. I’ve really got into Rude Health’s Almond Milk lately – it’s lovely in porridge! Eb x

• Corina says:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually tried almond milk but I’ll have to give it a go – It sounds good on porridge! x

4. Tara says:

Yum! I love that you made these dairy free with the Rice Dream. Such a delicious way to start the day and they sound perfect with that sticky lemon glaze.

5. Allison - Celebrating Sweets says:

I’ve been craving lemon muffins – these look delish! I’ll have to try that rice milk, I’ve never had it before.

• Corina says:

Thanks Fred! I love making muffins at the moment as they are so easy and great for me as I’ve got children who like to help out too!

• Corina says:

I found it was fine in baking and in tea – It doesn’t have a very strong taste. Personally I don’t really like the taste of milk so I don’t drink it by itself. I just have a little in hot drinks and on breakfast cereals and I’d happily use this in place of standard milk.

6. Lynn | The Road to Honey says:

Muffins always make for the perfect grab and go breakfast or snack. I’m loving the idea of a lemon flavor to help brighten up these dreary cold days we have been having.

• Corina says:

Thanks Sarah! I don’t always like really sweet cakes and these were perfect for me. The glaze is very sweet but I used quite a light coating so they were lovely.

7. hijackedbytwins says:

Oooh Corina these cupcakes sound so good! I love lemon cakes and I bet the rice milk makes them extra tasty. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

8. April says:

Lemon muffins, lemon cake, lemon bars. I love anything with lemon in it, so I am loving this recipe. I’ve never tried rice milk but I def have to try it out.

9. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain says:

Ooh yum! I know just what you mean about lemon (and other citrus) bakes feeling a little healthier than regular bakes – I wonder if it’s due to the sharpness of the flavour itself? These really do look gorgeous – that glaze finishes them off perfectly.
    Angela x

• Corina says:

Thanks Angela! Yes, I think it must be down to the sharpness of the lemon and I love recipes that have a combination of sweetness and sharpness too x