If you're looking for something a little different as a Valentine's Day starter, then why not try these air fried sweet potato canapés topped with caviar, sour cream and a slice of fresh chilli pepper.
They're perfect if you like hot and spicy food but also want to serve something just a little bit fancy. After all, I don't know about you but caviar is not something I buy regularly!
The earthiness of the sweet potato goes brilliantly with the fresh sourness of the sour cream and the hot chilli pepper. Add to that the saltiness of the caviar and the popping sensation as you eat it. It's combination that is full of flavour and different.
If you're looking to serve something that is a little bit special and perfect for a romantic dinner at home, this is it! But, if you're having a party and want something easy to prep ahead and unique then these sweet potato canapés are the perfect finger food.
Ingredient notes for sweet potato canapés
To make these sweet potato canapés you'll need:
- Sweet potato - I used orange sweet potato but feel free to use purple sweet potatoes if you can get them.
- Caviar - I used black lumpfish caviar. It's the most affordable caviar. The eggs are very small and you can feel them popping on your tongue. If you want to use a different kind of caviar then feel free to.
- Green chilli pepper - I used a fresh green chilli pepper. Fresh Jalapenos are good for this. You could use jarred jalapenos but the flavour would change.
- Sour cream
How do you make air fried sweet potato canapés?
These sweet potato canapes are really easy to make. Just slice the sweet potato so each piece is approximately ½cm thick.
I also soaked them in water for half an hour and dried them well. This step is not necessary but can help to remove some start and help them to crisp up a little more. Although be warned, these sweet potato slices are not super crispy but will hold their shape and hold the toppings.
Coat the slices well in oil and salt and then air fry for about 15 minutes, turning over half way. Then, let them cool otherwise the sour cream will melt on them.
Top each potato slice with sour cream, sliced chilli pepper and caviar.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course! Feel free to just use this recipe as inspiration. Lets start with the air fried sweet potato. Firstly, you don't have to air fry it. You can bake the slices in the oven or even fry them.
What about the green chilli pepper? Well, you can replace it with a red chilli or a pickled chilli, although that will change the flavour. If you're not a fan of heat, remove the seeds and dice the chilli pepper and just add a tiny bit to each canapé. If you want to remove the chilli altogether, you could replace it with something else with a fresh flavour. How about a few diced chives?
Sour cream goes really well with the caviar but it could also be replaced by thick Greek yogurt or labneh. Or how about some creamy guacamole?
Can you prepare these canapés in advance?
Yes you can. They can easily be prepared and assembled a couple of hours before you want to eat them. If you want to prepare them the day before, I'd suggest just cooking the sweet potato and then assembling before serving. However, the sweet potato will have softened.
How long do these sweet potato canapes stay fresh for?
As I said, the sweet potato can be prepared in advance but it will go a bit softer. Cooked sweet potato will keep well in the fridge in an air-tight container for at least 3 days.
Once you've opened the caviar, it is also best to be used up within three days.
Air Fried Sweet Potato Canapés with Caviar
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into slices about ½cm thick
- 30 g caviar
- 1 green chilli pepper sliced
- 20 ml sour cream
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and coat them in a little oil and salt.
- Put the sweet potato slices in the air fryer in a single layer and cook for 15 minutes at 185℃. Turn them over half way through the cooking time.
- Let the sweet potato slices cool before topping each one with ½ a spoonful of sour cream, a slice of chilli pepper and half a teaspoon of caviar.
More air fryer recipes
If you like these air fried sweet potato bites then why not try one of these air fryer recipes:
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these air fried sweet potato and caviar canapes or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.