This air fried butternut squash with harissa is so easy to make and so tasty. You only need three ingredients and about 20 minutes to make it. So, if you need a quick and easy air fried vegetable side dish, try it!
Harissa packs a real flavour bomb and combined with one of my favourite autumn vegetables, butternut squash, it's so good! This air fried harissa butternut squash recipe is quick and easy to make and is a great side dish with all kinds of meats, pies or casseroles. If you like spicy vegeteables then it's definitely one to make.
As I said, you only need three ingredients to make this air fried butternut squash with harissa. They are:
- Butternut squash - You could also replace it with a pumpkin or a different squash.
- Harissa - I used rose harissa. You can use regular harissa or if you fancy a different flavour profile, feel free to experiment. You could use chipotle or cajun paste for example.
- Olive oil - I used Gaea Greek olive oil. It's a lovely oil and I use it in a lot of my recipes at the moment. Do check them out and feel free to use my code: GAEASPICE15% to get a discount (affiliate link)
How to make air fried butternut squash with harissa
This is a really easy recipe to make. First just peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds (save to make this roasted pumpkin seed recipe!) and chop into cubes.
Put the butternut squash in a bowl with the harissa and oil and stir to coat well. Then put in the air fryer and air fry for 15 minutes at 195°C. Depending on your air fryer, you may need to shake the basket half way through to help the squash cook evenly.
Check the squash is cooked through before removing. It may need a few more minutes.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course! There are so many ways to adapt this recipe. I'd recommend just using it for inspiration and making your own variations. I absolutely love harissa and think it's great on butternut squash. However, you can use all kinds of other spices pastes to flavour the butternut squash instead of harissa.
You can also use other squash instead of butternut. You can even use this recipe on potatoes. They would need at least an extra 5 minutes to cook through though.
Can you make this without an air fryer?
Yes you can. If you don't have an air fryer you can bake the squash in the oven instead. I would recommend 20 minutes at 180C.
What air fryer is the best for this recipe?
You can use whatever air fryer you have. Some air fryers take slightly longer than others and some need more time to heat up. As this recipe is quite flexible, just double check the squash is cooked before taking it out.
At the moment I have a Cosori Dual Blaze 6.4 litre air fryer and I love it! It heats from the bottom as well as the top so there's no need to toss the vegetables half way through. It also doesn't need any time to heat up. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking to get one.
Ways to serve air fried harissa butternut squash
There are so many ways to serve this air fried butternut squash. It's great just as a vegetable side dish. But here are a few more ideas:
- Wrap it up in a pitta bread with hummus and salad
- Put it in a frittata
- Serve it as a healthy breakfast side with fried eggs and bacon
Air Fried Butternut Squash with Harissa
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 teaspoon harissa
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Peel and deseed the butternut squash. Cut into cubes. Mine were approximately 2cm.
- Stir the harissa and olive oil into the butternut squash.
- Air fry the butternut squash for 15 minutes at 195℃
- Check the squash is cooked through and air fryer for another 2-3 minutes if necessary.
More Air Fried Recipes
I love using my air fryer. Here are some more spicy air fryer recipes:
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this air fried butternut squash or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.