If you have an air fryer it is definitely worth making this air fried asparagus with zaatar and lemon juice. It's beautifully cooked and tastes amazing with the nutty herby flavours of the zaatar. Perfect as an easy vegetable side dish or a healthy appetiser.
I love using my air fryer at the moment and use it almost every day. In fact, I love air frying so much that I actually have two of them! One just wasn't enough if I wanted to air fry a few different elements for one meal!
Recently I tried cooking asparagus in the air fryer for the first time and fell in love with it. The asparagus is quick to cook and still has a little bite to it with a slight charring too. As soon as it comes out I squeeze over the lemon juice and toss it with a little zaatar. It's perfect and so moreish!
If you cook asparagus like this in the air fryer you can then eat it as side with all kinds of fish, chicken or veggie dishes. I also like to then put it in a salad with lettuce, tomatoes and feta. Any leftovers can also be chopped up and put in a salad the next day.
What is zaatar?
Zaatar, sometimes spelled za'atar or zatar, is a herby Middle Eastern spice blend which includes dried herbs, sesame seeds, sumac and cumin. The blend which I am using at the moment has oregano and marjoram in but it can often include thyme as well. Some blends also include a few chilli flakes and some include crushed coriander seeds as well as cumin seeds.
What Ingredients do you need for air fried asparagus with zaatar?
To make this air fryer asparagus recipe you'll need:
- Asparagus - You'll need green asparagus for this. If the stalks have woody ends you'll need to break them off by bending the asparagus. The ends should snap off naturally.
- Olive oil - Use just a little to coat the asparagus in before air fying. Feel free to use a different oil if you prefer.
- Zaatar - This is available in most large supermarkets these days but if you don't have it you could try this really simple zaatar recipe.
- Lemon juice - I usually squeeze a fresh lemon but you could use bottled juice if you have to.
How to make air fryer asparagus
Do check out the recipe card further down the page for more details but this is a really simple recipe.
First just break the ends of the asparagus off. Toss the asparagus with a little oil and air fry for just 5 minutes.
Take out of the air fryer and toss with the lemon juice and zaatar.
It could not be easier!
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course! Why not try a different spice blend? You could just toss with sumac or dukkah.
You could add a few chopped hazelnuts, almonds or pistachios for extra crunch.
And if you want to change the flavour profile completely, check out this air fried broccoli with garlic and parmesan. I think it would also work brilliantly with asparagus.
What can you serve with it?
I like this air fried asparagus as a side with fish or chicken right now. I can also quite happily eat it on its own topped with a poached or fried egg. Or why not make it as a delicious healthy appetiser?
Does it matter what air fryer you use?
Any kind of air fryer will work. You may just need to adapt the cooking time based on your own air fyer. I use my Instant Vortex Plus with Dual Basket. As it has two baskets, it's great for cooking more than one thing at once and when you are cooking for more than two people. Do check out my other favourite kitchen gadgets in this post.
Can you cook it in the oven instead of the air fryer?
Yes of course! If you don't have an air fryer, preheat the oven to 180C and roast the asaparagus in the oven instead. It will take a little bit longer than in the air fryer, probably about 10 minutes.
More recipes you might like
If you are looking for more air fryer recipes then do check out:
- Air fryer carrot salad
- Spicy air fryer chips (fries)
- Cajun air fried sweet potato fries
- Air fryer crushed potatoes
- Spicy air fryer chicken nuggets
- Air fryer brussels sprouts salad
And if you want more asparagus recipes then do try one of these recipes:
Air Fried Asparagus with Zaatar and Lemon
- 200 g asparagus
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon zaatar
- Break any woody ends off the asparagus. Toss in a little olive oil.
- Put the asparagus in the bottom of the air fryer. Cook for about 5 minutes at 180°C if your air fryer has a temperature option.
- Check the asparagus is cooked to your liking. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with the zaatar.
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this air fryer asparagus with zaatar or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
You can also stay up to date by following on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Leave a Reply