Rich and indulgent, this creamy mushroom sauce with chicken is a great recipe for a special dinner. It's easy to make and totally delicious too. Make it lighter by serving some green vegetables on the side!
I love creamy sauces but I don't make them very often. Cream isn't something I buy regularly so it's never just there in the fridge, waiting for me to use it, like say tomatoes or peppers. If I want to make a creamy sauce I have to be organised enough to know what I'm going to cook and then go out and buy it in advance. Well, some recipes are worth doing that for and one of them is this creamy mushroom sauce served with chicken.
Part of the reason I had a sudden craving for creamy sauces was that we had some white wine left over. So, what to do with the wine? A creamy mushroom sauce of course.
Or why not open a bottle of wine for date night and make this creamy sauce for a special meal?
Ingredient notes for chicken with creamy mushroom sauce
To make this chicken with creamy mushroom sauce you'll need:
- Chicken - I use chicken breasts and cut them in half horizontally
- Aromatics - onion and garlic.
- Mushrooms - You can use button mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms. To be honest, any kind of mushrooms would probably work well.
- White wine - If you don't have any wine, you can replace it with stock.
- Chicken stock - You can use homemade or make it from a stock cube. Vegetable stock also works well.
- Double cream
- Parsley - Fresh parsley is best for this sauce but if you don't have fresh, you can use dried parsley.
- Seasoning - A little salt and black pepper. Season to taste.
How to make this chicken in creamy mushroom sauce
Do check out the full recipe card further down the page. First I butterfly the chicken breasts (slice them in half horizontally). This helps to make sure they cook more quickly and ensures that the chicken cooks through. Then fry the chicken pieces on each side until lightly browned and cooked through.
Take the chicken out of the pan and add a little extra oil and then cook the onions until soft. Stir in the garlic and then mushrooms, followed by the wine and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes then stir in the cream, parsley and seasoning. Return the chicken to the pan and heat through for another 5 minutes.
What to serve with this chicken and creamy mushroom sauce?
I loved the flavour of the sauce and it went so well with the chicken. It's perfect for a day when you want indulgent comfort food.
I love to serve this with potatoes. In these pictures I've served it with air fryer chips but it's also lovely with roast potatoes, mashed potatoes and jacket potatoes. Basically I love this creamy chicken and mushroom recipe with potatoes of any kind!
I have to admit that a creamy sauce is not the healthiest of meals! Like us, if you feel the need to balance out the cream then some green vegetables are the perfect choice. Broccoli, green beans or peas are brilliant with it.
Can you adapt this creamy mushroom sauce?
There are a few ways you could adapt this recipe. To begin with you could serve it with another meat. It would go very well with pork chops or steak.
You could also make it into a leek sauce by swapping the mushrooms for some sliced leeks.
This is quite a rich and heavy sauce and so to make it lighter, just reduce the amount of cream. You may need to add a little extra stock if the pan looks dry.
Can you make the sauce without wine?
If you don't want to use alcohol in the sauce then just use extra stock instead of the wine.
Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion finely diced
- 100 g mushrooms medium sized, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 100 ml white wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml double cream
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- pinch black pepper
- pinch salt
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Fry the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until it is cooked through. Then remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add the onions. When softened, add the mushrooms and garlic, followed by the wine and stock.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes and then add the cream and parsley. Bring to the boil and then return the chicken to the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- The chicken should be thoroughly heated through again and the sauce will thicken. Season with a little black pepper and salt if needed.
More Sauce Recipes
If you like this creamy mushroom sauce then you might also like this lemon and parsley sauce for fish, which also happens to be delicious with chicken too!
If you like vibrant herb sauce then why not try this honey lime steak with chimichurri sauce?
If you're looking for easy meals you might also like my cream cheese stuffed chicken recipe. And you love creamy sauces then do try my steak in a creamy mushroom and whisky sauce. I've also got a delicious recipe for chicken in a creamy mushroom and bacon sauce.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this chicken and creamy mushroom sauce recipe or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.