These spicy air fryer chips (fries) are definitely my favourite thing to cook in the air fryer. So simple to make and absolutely delicious even if you don't add the spices! Kids love them too as they're such a family favourite recipe.
The great thing about these spicy air fryer fries is that the spices are added after they've been cooked so everyone can add as much or as little seasoning as they like. They are even great to eat without any spices. You could just add a little salt. Or just eat them as they are, especially if you have your favourite dip to dunk them in.
I love to make these chips, or fries if that's what you prefer to call them, to go with all kinds of family meals. They're delicious with pizza, grilled chicken, fish, steak, burgers, basically anything that goes well with chips is great to serve with these spicy fries.
Although they are the perfect spicy potato side dish, these spiced air fryer chips are perfect to eat by themselves as a snack. If you want something to enjoy while having a movie night, why not make these fries? If your kids are always hungry after school, make a portion of these spicy chips to keep them going till dinner time! And if you prefer sweet potato, try my Cajun sweet potato fries recipe too!
Ingredient notes for spicy air fryer chips
Do check out the full recipe further down the page but bascially to make these spicy air fryer chips you'll need:
- Potatoes - I use Maris Piper or King Edward usually.
- Oil - Sunflower, vegetable or light olive oil all work
- Seasoning - I use a mixture of salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano. Roughly 1 third salt and 2 thirds herbs and spices. If you don't want to mix up your own blend you can use a ready mixed potato or chip seasoning mix instead. I also like to use the Just spices chips seasoning. Use the code: justsearchingforspice to get a free spice with your order.
How to make spicy air fryer chips
Do check out the recipe further down the post but basically there are a few things you need to do to make sure you get crispy well cooked fries every time.
- First peel and slice the potatoes into chips/fries. If they are too thick they might not all cook through so make sure they are not too chunky.
- Rinse the chips and then put them in a bowl of fresh cold water to soak. This gets rid of some of the starch and helps the chips to crisp up better later.
- Drain the chips and dry them on a clean tea towl or kitchen paper.
- Toss the oil through the chips.
- Put the chips into the air fryer and cook for about 20 minutes. You will probably need to take the chips out a couple of times to shake them to help them all cook evenly.
- Toss the spices through the chips as soon as they come out of the air fryer. Then serve immediately.
Can you reheat them?
Yes, if the chips go cold and you want to reheat them just pop them in the air fryer for about 4-5 minutes to heat through and they should crisp up again too.
You can also reheat them the next day if you store them overnight in the fridge in an airtight container.
What can you do if the chips are not cooked through?
Cook them for a bit longer or slice them a little more thinly next time.
Are air fryer chips crispy?
Well, I find air fried chips are not quite as crispy as deep fried chips but they do still crisp up on the outside. The seasoning on these ones make them so tasty that you really won't be complaining.
I also find that the fewer chips I cook, the crispier they get. If the air fryer is overcrowded then they don't get as crispy as they do when I make a smaller batch.
Can you cook them in the oven?
Yes of course! If you don't have an air fryer then you can cook the chips in the oven instead. They will take about 30 minutes at 200C.
You can make the spice blend in extactly the same way too and just toss it over the chips when they are cooked. The chips seasoning is really tasty so it really is worth making!
Spicy Air Fryer Chips (Fries)
- 450 g potatoes I use Maris Piper
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano dried
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chips. You can leave the skins on if you prefer.
- Rinse the potatoes in cold water and then leave to soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain the chips and dry them in a tea towel.
- Put the chips in a bowl and toss to coat them in the oil.
- Put them in the air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes. I use the automatic temperature which is 195°c. The length of time will depend on how thinly you cut the chips. I have a basket type air fryer and so take it out and shake it every 5 minutes to help the chips cook evenly.
- When the chips are ready, take them out and toss the spices through them. Eat immediately.
More air fryer recipes you might like
If you like cooking in the air fryer then do try one of these recipes:
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these spicy air fryer chips or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.