This tasty roasted garlic beetroot soup recipe is perfect on chilly days. Easy to make and delicious with crusty bread, it makes a healthy starter or light main meal.
I love to make homemade soup at this time of year and this week I had a craving for beetroot soup. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because I enjoyed the butternut squash soup I made recently so much that I fancied another smooth thick soup. And this roasted garlic beetroot soup is the perfect comfort food.
Maybe it's just because it's getting colder and I felt like soup. Sometimes you just need a big warming bowl of soupy comfort food and that is exactly what this soup is.
It's a real feel-good soup. It's worth making for the gorgeous colour alone. Just looking at that deep rich purple red makes you feel good. Eating a bowlful of it makes you feel even better.
However, you're lucky I managed to make this beetroot soup at all. The reason being that the roasted vegetables smelled so amazing when I took them out of the oven that I almost just ate them all there and then. The crispy caramelised bits on the roasted carrots, potatoes, and onions as well as the whole cloves of caramelised garlic were almost hard to resist.
By the way, I had a similar problem when making this roasted parsnip soup!
What ingredients do you need?
To make this tempting vegetable soup you'll need:
- Garlic - Not just a little. You'll need a whole bulb and you can't replace it with lazy garlic as the whole thing gets roasted!
- Potato - This helps to add a delicious creaminess once the soup is blended
- Onion - A red or a brown onion will do
- Oil - Vegetable oil or a light olive oil
- Vegetable stock - You can use ready made stock or a stock cube
- Seasoning - Just a little black pepper and salt
- Yogurt - I love it swirled on top of this soup when serving but you can miss it out. You can use a dairy free yogurt to keep the soup vegan.
How to make this roasted beetroot soup?
To make this soup you need to roast all the vegetables first including the garlic. Put them on a tray in the oven, drizzle with oil and roast until they are soft and slightly caramelised.
Then put all the vegetables in a saucepan with the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes and blend to make a smooth vibrant soup.
You can use a stick blender or transfer the soup to a jug blender, which you may need to do in batches.
These days I use my Optimum Froothie Evolve as it simmers the soup and then then blends it. I just put all the ingredients into it once the vegetables have roasted.
Can you adapt this beetroot soup recipe?
Yes of course! This roasted garlic and beetroot soup can easily be adapted to use any vegetables you need to use up, especially ones that roast well such as cauliflower, butternut squash or sweet potatoes.
I added a big spoonful of natural yogurt to the top of my soup. I love yogurt and as the soup is fairly sweet, the tang of the yogurt balances it out nicely. If you want to make a vegan soup then of course, omit the yogurt or use a vegan alternative.
What to serve with this soup?
Like lots of soups, this roasted garlic and beetroot soup is delicious with fresh bread. If you want even more garlic then why not try this garlic and herb butter quick bread with it? Or how about chilli cheese scones?
What to do with the leftovers
This soup is perfect for batch cooking. You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. Just reheat it on the hob (you may need to add a splash of extra water) or in the microwave.
If you love to make meals with enough leftovers for another meal then do check out my #CookOnceEatTwice recipe collection.
Can you freezer it?
Yes of course. I like to freeze soups in individual portions so they are easy to defrost for just one serving. It is best to defrost in the fridge overnight but you can defrost in the microwave too.
More soup recipes
If you like this garlic beetroot soup then check out these other autumnal soups as well as my collection of easy homemade soups!
- Spiced celeriac soup
- Spiced carrot and tahini soup
- Sausage lentil and vegetable soup
- leftover roast vegetable soup!
Roasted Garlic Beetroot Soup
- 500 g beetroot chopped into large chunks
- 1 bulb garlic chopped in half
- 1 large potato, chopped into large chunks the same size as the beetroot
- 1 large carrot cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoon yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Put all the vegetables on a large baking tray and coat in the oil
- Roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes until the vegetables are cooked
- Put the vegetables in a saucepan along with the stock. Heat to boiling and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend with a stick blender and serve each portion topped with a spoonful of yoghurt.
Pin for later
Places I'm sharing this roasted garlic beetroot soup
Cook Blog Share hosted by Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie
Very nice. I added some chilli flakes snd cumin to the roast. Delicious
That sounds like a lovely addition Tracie
What can you use for vegetable stock? I don't usually have any. What do you suggest? I like the idea of using chili flakes,I will try that! Thanks
Hi, you cans use a stock cube and water or just water. You might need to add a bit more seasoning though.