This tasty roasted garlic beetroot soup recipe is perfect on chilly days. Easy to make and delicious with crusty bread, it makes a healthy starter or light main meal.
I love to make homemade soup at this time of year and this week I had a craving for beetroot soup. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because I enjoyed the butternut squash soup I made recently so much that I fancied another smooth thick soup.
This roasted garlic beetroot soup is the perfect comfort food!
Maybe it's just because it's getting colder and I felt like soup. Sometimes you just need a big warming bowl of soupy comfort food and that is exactly what this soup is.
Roasting the veggies first intensifies the flavour
However, you're lucky I actually managed to make this soup at all. The reason being that the roasted vegetables smelled so amazing when I took them out of the oven that I almost just ate roasted vegetables for lunch. After all, the crispy caramelised bit on the roasted carrots, potatoes, and onions as well as the whole cloves of caramelised garlic were hard to resist. Almost impossible. If I hadn't known that this would make an equally tempting soup and if I hadn't planned to blog about it then trust me, I would not have actually continued with steps 4-5 of the recipe. I had a similar problem when making this roasted parsnip soup!
So, if you also get stuck at the end of step 3 and you have some feta, Cheshire or another crumbly cheese in the fridge then just crumble it over the top and you've got a tasty meal.
However, I would like you to make this garlic beetroot soup. It's worth making for the gorgeous colour alone. Just looking at that deep rich purple red makes you feel good. Eating a bowlful of it makes you feel even better. I added a big spoonful of natural yogurt to the top of my soup. I love yogurt and as the soup is fairly sweet, the tang of the yogurt balances it out nicely. If you want to make a vegan soup then of course, omit the yogurt or use a vegan alternative.
Perfect for batch cooking
This is another great recipe to cook once eat twice as well. Just reheat it on the hob or in the microwave. If you love to make meals with enough leftovers for another meal then do check out my #CookOnceEatTwice recipe collection.
More soup recipes
If you like this garlic beetroot soup then check out these other autumnal soups as well as my collection of easy homemade soups!
- Butternut squash soup topped with bacon
- Spiced carrot and tahini soup
- Sausage lentil and vegetable soup
- leftover roast vegetable soup!
Roasted Garlic Beetroot Soup
- 500 g beetroot chopped into large chunks
- 1 bulb garlic chopped in half
- 1 large potato, chopped into large chunks the same size as the beetroot
- 1 large carrot cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 tbsp yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Put all the vegetables on a large baking tray and coat in the oil
- Roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes until the vegetables are cooked
- Put the vegetables in a saucepan along with the stock. Heat to boiling and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend with a stick blender and serve each portion topped with a spoonful of yoghurt.
Pin for later
Places I'm sharing this roasted garlic beetroot soup
Cook Blog Share hosted by Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie