This delicious Greek lemon chicken is a great one pot meal that's easy to prepare and easy to cook. If you like lemon and garlic you will love this! It's perfect if you're looking for meals with little meal prep.
I love Greek one pot meals and stews. I don't think I've got many on this blog but I enjoyed them so much on holiday in Cyprus a few years ago. The beauty of this recipe is that it needs almost no preparation. Who doesn't want that on busy days? Ok, it's not the quickest meal as it needs quite a while in the oven but as long as you are at home for a while before you eat then it's perfect.
Typical Greek Flavours
If you love lemon, garlic and oregano which are such Greek flavours then this stew is definitely going to make you happy. It's the kind of stew that is really popular in Greek households and after making it, I can really see why!
The Inspiration for this Greek Lemon Chicken
This Greek lemon chicken was inspired by a recipe on Culinary Flavours. This is a Greek food blog and I love the traditional Greek recipes on it. I altered the quantities of ingredients slightly, adding more garlic as I love garlic in a casserole. The original recipes doesn't contain tomatoes either but I added them near the end.
My verdict on this Greek Lemon chicken
The dish was full of lemony Greek flavours. The potatoes were deliciously soft and had soaked up lots of flavour. I also think the tomatoes were a delicious addition to this complete one-pot meal.
Can you reheat the leftovers?
If you have leftovers then just keep them in the fridge and reheat them the next day. You can use the microwave or reheat them in the oven. Like with lots of stews and casseroles, the flavours get even more intense the next day!
Greek Lemon Chicken
- 1 kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 4 potatoes each cut into about 6 pieces
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 onion cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 70 ml olive oil
- 950 ml chicken stock
- 2 lemons
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp paprika
- In an oven-proof dish, place the garlic cloves, potatoes, onion and chicken. Sprinkle with the oregano and paprika.
- Add the olive oil then cover with the stock. Add a little salt, depending on the saltiness of the stock. Cut the lemons into quarters and place on top, skin side facing upwards.
- Bake for 1 hour at about 200C with the lid on. Take the lid off and continue to bake for about 45 minutes. Don't let all the liquid evaporate or it will go dry. Scatter with the tomatoes, put the lid on again and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
More one pot meals
This Greek lemon chicken is a great one pot meal. Why not have a look at some of my other easy one pot recipes?
If you like lemon chicken recipes then you might also like my chicken breasts in lemon and sage sauce. Or if you're looking for Greek recipes then why not look at my vegetarian moussaka? Or how about this quick and easy coq au vin?
Pin for later
By the way, if you're looking for ideas for new kitchen appliances, do check out this guide to my favourite products!