This Moroccan chickpea soup is spicy and lemony and just the thing to warm you up. It makes a healthy one pot vegan meal that makes the most of store cupboard ingredients.
This lemony Moroccan chickpea soup is a real favourite recipe of mine. In fact, I've been making it for years. It is just so easy to make and so tasty. The best thing about it is that it's the type of recipe I can make when I'm running out of everything and the fridge is almost bare. I almost always have extra tins of chickpeas and tomatoes in the cupboard as well as the spices.
How can you adapt this Moroccan chickpea soup?
You could vary the vegetables depending on what you have to hand. I love to put a pepper in,usually a red one and a carrot. I think carrot goes so well with the cumin and lemon and I always love red peppers. Cumin and lemon are some of my favourite flavours and they are brilliant at evoking that Moroccan feeling!
I've also got a red chilli pepper in here. I keep the seeds in but you could deseed it if you don't want the soup to be too hot or if you want your children to eat it. I have to admit that these days I often have to put the chopped up chilli pepper in a little ramekin just for me and my husband. After all, Master Spice loves this soup and I don't want to risk him deciding not to eat it!
The roasted chickpea croutons are a great soup topping
If you're looking for an alternative to croutons then the roasted chickpeas make a great topping for this soup. They add extra protein as well as being gluten free. Why not make a big batch of the chickpeas as they as great for snacking on as well as being perfect in this roasted chickpea salad.
Recipe for Moroccan Chickpea Soup
Moroccan Chickpea Soup
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
For the Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper finely sliced (optional)
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 carrot finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Put half the chickpeas in a bowl. Add the spices and the oil. Stir then put on a baking tray. Make sure they are in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Check and if necessary return to the oven for another 5 minutes to crisp up.
- At the same time as you roast the chickpeas, start making the soup. Heat the oil in a saucepan and then add the onion and chilli pepper. Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes till the onion is soft.
- Add the red pepper and carrot. Cook for another 5 minutes then stir in the cumin and coriander. Stir in and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the rest of the chickpeas and the tomatoes. Fill the empty tomato tin with water and add that too. Turn the heat up until the pan comes to a boil then lower to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice in at the end to serve.
More super soup recipes
If you like this Moroccan chickpea soup then how about one of these soups?
Pin for Later!
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this tasty Moroccan chickpea soup recipe. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable!
Places I'm sharing this Moroccan Chickpea Soup
Cook Blog Share hosted by Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins