This easy tomato and coriander soup makes a delicious light and healthy lunch. It's mildly spiced and will certainly warm you up on a cold day!
Why is it that now summer has arrived I keep making soup? I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that this soup is really delicious, even on a warm day. It's also a great way of using up some of those giant bunches of fresh herbs that are so much better value than the small packs. Some people might object to eating coriander in every meal for 4 days straight but luckily none of those people live with me.
Curry powder is key to this tomato and coriander soup
This soup is adapted from my basic tomato soup recipe that I make quite regularly. Although I normally use individual spices when cooking rather than curry powder, this time I didn't want it to be a strongly spiced tomato soup. The curry powder just gives it a mild curry flavour that goes really well with the coriander. Of course, there's nothing to stop you adding more.
Can you adapt this tomato and coriander soup?
Most recipes are there to be adapted and you can easily vary this soup by using different herbs instead of the coriander. You could also miss out or substitute the curry powder altogether. This soup has milk in but to make vegan version, you could just add some extra stock. You could even just stick with the plain tomato soup that this was adapted from.
What can you do with the leftovers?
If you have any soup leftover then it will keep in the fridge for about 3 days. Just reheat it in a saucepan or the microwave until piping hot.
You can also freeze it for up to three months. However, because it has milk in, it can separate and have a grainy texture after being frozen. I prefer to just eat any leftovers the next day!
Recipe for Tomato and Coriander Soup
Tomato and Coriander Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 15 g fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml milk
- Cook the onion in a little oil for about 5 minutes. When soft add the garlic. Cook for another minutes, stirring, then add the curry powder and the tin of tomatoes. Add a little water if the tomatoes are too thick. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coriander and using a stick blender, blend the soup.
- Mix a tbsp of milk with the bicarbonate of soda. Pour it onto the soup, followed by the rest of the milk.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, keep stirring. There will be quite a few bubbles but they will have disappeared after 5 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of bread.
Pin this tomato and coriander soup for later
More amazing soup recipes
As well as my collection of easy homemade soup recipes do have a look at the recipes below:
Please also check out my Cook Once Eat Twice recipe collection. There are lots of other easy recipes you might like.
Places I'm sharing this easy recipe
Elizabeth's Kitchen's No Waste Food Challenge