These adorable penguin cupcakes are a great recipe for a kid's party or just a fun baking activity to do with your kids. They look great but are still a really easy recipe. Who doesn't love anything penguin themed?
Didn't I just post a penguin cake the other week? You're thinking. Are you obsessed with penguins? Should this blog be called, Searching for Penguins?
Well, it's boring to decorate the same cake twice, but Little Miss Spice was asking to make penguins again. I resorted to cupcakes this time. Please help me if you have any ideas for next time.
I adapted the recipe from a previous attempt at cupcakes. The finished cupcakes were very tasty but quite dense - They could definitely stand up to some rough handling by my daughter as we were decorating them. I decorated half and she decorated half. The ones she decorated were a little more freestyle than the penguins. When we ate them though, she liked to eat the penguins and I ate the ones she decorated.
I haven't made cupcakes very often and I don't feel that this is THE definitive vanilla cupcake recipe. I'd like to make them a little lighter next time, so perhaps there will be a little more cupcake experimentation going on soon.
Recipe for Penguin Cupcakes
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml milk
Ingredients for Decorating the Penguin Cupcakes
- Yellow ready to roll icing
- black ready to roll icing
- white ready to roll icing
- black icing pen
- 2 tbsp jam
How to Make the Cupcakes
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and rub the butter in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Put the milk, eggs and vanilla extract in another bowl and whisk until combined.
- Gradually pour the milk and egg into the dry mixture, whisking as you pour. Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a measuring jug to make it easier to fill the cupcakes.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases. Pour the cake batter into each case, filling each one about two thirds full.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 180°C. Test with a cocktail stick to see if they are done.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Decorating the Cupcakes
- Put the jam in a bowl and heat in the microwave. Brush it onto the top of the cupcakes to help the icing to stick.
- Start by putting a circle of white icing on each cupcake.
- Next roll out the black icing and draw around the end of a spatula to cut out the shape of the penguin's body.
- Then cut out squares for the penguin's face and use your fingers to round the corners off.
- Finally, roll out the yellow icing and cut it up into little triangles to make the feet and beaks. For the eyes, use the icing pen. Or you could use tiny balls of black icing.
More Cute Cupcake Recipes
If you like these penguin cupcakes then do check out my black and white animal cupcakes too!