This warming tomato and sausage soup is easy to make and healthy. It's a great recipe to batch cook and then reheat later. You can also freeze it for lazy dinner days!
With a tin of tomatoes in the cupboard and a few vegetables in the fridge it's always easy to make a quick soup for lunch or dinner. This soup is even ideal to make if the vegetables are slightly past their best. I made this tomato and sausage soup the other day to go with some homemade soda bread which is the perfect side with homemade soup.
However, don't feel you have to make bread as well as this sausage soup. You can serve the soup with any kind of bread you like. Soda bread is just so easy and needs no time to rise so it's a great choice if you do want to make fresh bread in a hurry.
Is it a healthy soup?
I would like to say that I made this homemade soup in order to be healthy and to eat more of my 5-a-day. I didn't. Honestly, I just made it because it was an easy recipe and because I love sausage and vegetable soup.
It is a great recipe to make if you want to eat more healthily. You may think sausages are not healthy but they can be as part of a balanced diet. The amount of vegetables in this soup definitely make it a healthy meal choice.
What ingredients do you need for this sausage and tomato soup?
- Sausages - Good quality ones as they really flavour the soup.
- Onion - You can replace the other vegetables but I always add onion to this.
- Garlic - I prefer to use fresh garlic cloves but lazy garlic or even garlic granules are fine
- Tinned chopped tomatoes - If you don't have tinned you can use diced fresh tomatoes plus some tomato puree. I often blitz the tomatoes in a blender first to make them quicker to cook.
- Vegetables - I used green pepper and carrot but you can replace them with whatever vegetables you want to use up.
- Dried herbs - I used a bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. I love these herbs together but you can substitute them for other herbs. Basil is lovely too. Of course, if you have lots of fresh herbs feel free to use them.
What kind of sausages do you need?
I always choose good quality sausages and for a soup like this it's best to choose ones that are full of flavour. You can use any type of sausage although a strong peppery sausage such as Cumberland would be great. Even a cured sausage like chorizo works well in this soup recipe.
How else can you adapt this soup recipe?
Feel free to vary the vegetables depending on what you have at home at the time. As I mentioned above, soup is great for using up any slightly wilted vegetables. Who's going to notice if you use a slightly wrinkled pepper anyway?
You can also use different herbs. I always have lots of dried herbs in the cupboard but if I have fresh herbs I love to use them.
How to make this soup more filling
If you want to make this tomato and sausages soup into a more substantial meal then you could add a tin of beans. Kidney beans, cannellini beans, or even some lentils would definitely make it filling enough for a main meal.
How to garnish the soup
There are so many ingredients in this soup that it doesn't really need anything extra on top.
You might notice in the pictures that I added a few croutons. Don't feel you have to at all. I had a few Marmite croutons left over from making this carrot and ginger soup with Marmite croutons.
You could of course add a few fresh herbs. Basil for example would be lovely on top of this soup.
Storing and reheating
Once you've made this sausauge and tomato soup it will keep well in the fridge for 3 days. Just reheat it thoroughly in a suacepan on the stove or in the microwave.
You can also freeze it for up to three months. Whenever I make soup I like to freeze any leftovers in individual container so I can grab and easy meal when I need to.
Its a great meal to batch cook and if you need more ideas for meals that you can make in advance then do check out my Cook Once Eat Twice recipe collection.
More Homemade Soup Recipes
Homemade soup is one of my favourite things to make in winter. I've even got a recipe collection for easy homemade soups!
If you like this sausage soup then I can also recommend this sausage, lentil and vegetable soup. It's a bit more substantial so great if you are looking for a main meal soup.
You might also like this pizza soup which has chorizo in plus all the flavours of pizza but in soup form. Please excuse the current pictures though - it is due an update!
Tomato and Sausage Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 200 g sausages use scissors to cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Put a little oil in a saucepan and cook the onion until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the sausage and cook until it has browned slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and about 400ml water to cover everything. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread.