There's nothing better on a long day than coming home to this slow cooker pork in peanut sauce. Super quick to prepare in the morning and then the slow cooker does all the work. Deliciously spicy and full of flavour, it's a meal that's perfect for busy families!
Slow cooker peanut pork. Yum! If I had to choose any meat to eat roasted, pork would not be my first choice. However, if I'm using my slow cooker, I just love to eat pork, especially with a few of my favourite ingredients - ginger, garlic, chillies and peanut butter! If you like satay sauces you'll love this slow cooker variation.
This is the third meal I've made using peanut butter recently and I think there is a danger of me becoming addicted to peanut sauces. Seriously! I love the richness, the creaminess as well as the spiciness in this peanut butter sauce. It is like a slow cooker satay.
Because the meat is cooked in the slow cooker it just falls apart and all the lovely oriental flavours soak into it. Every time I make it I want to make it again.
It might not be the healthiest meal. After all, I used pork shoulder steaks which are more fatty than pork loin or chops but they have a lovely flavour and are perfect for slow cooking. There are not many things worse than dry pork and that is not something you'll be complaining about with slow cooked pork shoulder. That I can promise you.
What ingredients are in slow cooker pork in peanut sauce?
To make this slow cooker pork in peanut sauce you'll need:
- Pork shoulder steaks - You can use a different cut of pork but make sure it's one that is good for slow cooking.
- Garlic - I usually use fresh garlic but you can use garlic puree or paste.
- Root ginger - I also like to use fresh root ginger and grate it myself but you can also use a ginger puree or frozen ginger.
- Chilli peppers - I use the ones from the supermarket and they can vary a lot in heat so it's best to use your judgement as to whether you need more or less.
- Peanut butter - I use crunchy unsweetened peanut butter but you can use smooth peanut butter or a sweetened peanut butter.
- Soy sauce - I use light soy sauce
- Honey - This adds just a little sweetness.
How do you make this slow cooker pork?
First mix all the ingredients (except the pork) together with about 100ml of water. You can use a small whisk or a fork.
If you have time, pour the sauce over the pork and leave it in the fridge overnight before slow cooking the next day.
When you are ready to cook, just put everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
If you have too much liquid in the sauce you can reduce the sauce before serving. Just take the pork out of the sauce. Put the sauce in a small saucepan and reduce until you get the thickness you prefer.
Depending on the kind of slow cooker you might be able to reduce the sauce in the slow cooker. I have a Crock Pot Express Multi Cooker so can remove the pork and switch to the brown/saute setting to reduce the sauce.
Can you cook it in the oven?
Yes, if you don't have a slow cooker it is easy to adapt this peanut pork to cook in the oven. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and put everything in an oven-proof dish with a lid. Bake it in the oven at 160C for an hour.
Can you make it with chicken instead?
Yes! I love the flavours in satay chicken as well as pork and this recipe works just as well with chicken. Because it's cooked in the slow cooker it's best to use chicken legs or thighs rather than breast meat which can dry out when slow cooked. When using chicken I also reduce the cooking time to about 5-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high.
How else can you adapt the recipe?
This recipe is really simple so there aren't many other ways you can adapt it. However, you can use more chilli peppers or add some chilli flakes for a more fiery recipe.
You can also add a few vegetables if you want. Root vegetables such as carrots or sweet potatoes work really well with these spicy Asian flavours.
What can you serve with this pork in peanut sauce?
I love to cook some rice and stir fry some vegetables to go with the pork. It makes an easy dinner and doesn't take much time to make.
However you could also serve it with noodles or mashed potato as well as some more vegetables. I love green vegetables like broccoli with satay peanut sauce so why not serve some on the side too?
What can you do with the leftovers?
Just store any leftover slow cooked peanut pork in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat thoroughly in the oven or microwave before serving. The leftovers are a great meal to take to work if you have a microwave as it's still very tasty the next day.
If you don't have any rice left then why not put the leftovers into wrap instead?
Can you freeze the leftover slow cooked pork in peanut sauce?
Yes, freeze it in a ziploc bag or airtight container for up to three months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat thoroughly before eating.
More recipes you might like
If you love spicy recipes then do check out my easy spicy recipes for midweek meals collection. Or one of these slow cooker recipes:
Slow Cooked Pork in Peanut Sauce
- 800 g pork shoulder steaks
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 chilli peppers finely sliced
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix all the ingredients together for the sauce along with about 100ml of water and coat the pork with it. If you have time put it back in the fridge to marinate for a while.
- Put the pork and the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 hours in the slow cooker.
- If you feel the sauce is too thin, remove the pork from the slow cooker and boil the sauce to reduce it. Serve the pork with the sauce, rice and some extra vegetables.
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this slow cooked pork in peanut sauce or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.