This healthy spinach citrus salad combines oranges and grapefruit with a punchy grapefruit and mustard dressing. It is definitely one of the most refreshing salads I've eaten for a long while.
A really healthy salad recipe
When I first made this salad I'd had a few busy weeks and I was feeling like I needed to make some healthy choices. If that's you and you're feeling like you are a bit run down and need something vibrant zesty and healthy then this grapefruit and orange citrus salad is exactly what you need
It looks quite simple and it is. However, it is packed full of flavour. The spinach leaves go really well with the orange and grapefruit segments and the mustard and grapefruit dressing is a revelation!
It's also a great choice if you are looking for vegan salad ideas.
What ingredients are in this spinach and citrus salad?
To make this salad you need
- spinach leaves -I like to use baby leaves as they are more delicate and better for salads. You can read more about the health benefits of spinach here.
- an orange
- a grapefruit - Use white, red or pink grapefruit
Then for the zesty citrus dressing you need
- Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice - Again, it doesn't matter what colour of grapefruit
- Olive oil - I use extra virgin
- Mustard - I use English mustard as it is stronger and my family like a real kick of mustard. However, you can use any kind of mustard but you may need to alter the quantities
- Freshly grated ginger - You can use a paste but I think it has more of a kick if you can grate it freshly.
- Agave nectar - or honey if you don't need it to be vegan
- Salt - You can omit this if you don't like adding salt
You MUST try the grapefruit dressing!
I often add lemon or lime juice to salad dressings but until recently I'd never thought to make a grapefruit vinaigrette. Maybe that's because I just don't buy grapefruits as often.
That really should change as I think this dressing would go so well on all sorts of salads. You can clearly taste the grapefruit but because of the agave nectar it's not too sharp at all. Even the mustard isn't too strong, despite the fact that I used English mustard.
I also added freshly grated root ginger. I am a huge fan of root ginger and add it to lots of my smoothies (like this orange and ginger smoothie) but it's also delicious in this grapefruit vinaigrette.
How to adapt this citrus spinach salad?
In the dressing, the agave nectar can definitely be replaced by honey. I use the two interchangeably in this - It just depends which I grab from the cupboard first! Of course, if you want the salad to be vegan, stick with agave nectar.
As I said, the mustard wasn't too strong in this and you could definitely add a bit more to make it more punchy!
You can also add a little sliced or finely diced red onion. It goes beautifully with the spinach and citrus.
What can you serve with this spinach salad?
This spinach salad is really light and makes a great side salad although you can have it as a main meal. I think it goes brilliantly with grilled chicken or grilled halloumi.
If you're having a barbecue and want a mix of different side salads then this is also a great one to have. The citrus fruits in it are a brilliant way to make grilled meats feel less heavy.
This spinach citrus salad is great for kids
This may not at first look like the most child-friendly recipe but Little Miss Spice loved the citrus fruit. What's more, she even ate a few leaves of spinach along with the dressing. Result!
Are you looking for more healthy salad recipes?
Salads make a great meal all year round. So why not check out my main meal salad recipes post?
You might also like the salads I've picked out below. The great thing is that they can be a meal in themselves or just a delicious side dish.
Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- 200 g spinach washed
- 1 grapefruit peeled and cut into segments
- 1 orange peeled and cut into segments
For the Dressing
- ½ grapefruit juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp English mustard or a little more of another variety of mustard
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
- Pinch salt
- Divide the spinach between 4 plates and top with the fruit segments
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together
- Serve the dressing on the salad.
Pin Spinach Citrus Salad for Later!
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this. Or any of the other recipes here on Searching for Spice. You can leave a comment below!