This tomato and chorizo pasta is a perfect midweek meal. It's quick to make and one of my tastiest pasta recipes. Try it!
Chorizo: a great way to add flavour!
There is nothing more guaranteed to make a tomato sauce tastier than a little bit of chorizo. I love it and almost always have it in the fridge ready to add to a quick meal at a moment's notice.
A great midweek pasta recipe
This tomato and chorizo pasta recipe is a variation of my everyday pasta with tomato and chilli sauce. I make pasta dishes like this every couple of weeks, sometimes even weekly.
I always have pasta, onions and tinned tomatoes in the cupboard and tomatoes, chillies and peppers in the fridge. This means I can easily prepare it at the last minute. Even if I haven't thought about what to make for dinner that day.
If you like pasta in a creamy sauce then do also take a look at my creamy chorizo pasta recipe.
Ingredients for tomato and chorizo pasta
To make this dish you'll need:
- Cooking chorizo - I like this better but you could also use a diced chorizo ring or even slices of cooked chorizo
- Red onion - Or a brown onion!
- Red pepper - I often replace this with a yellow or orange pepper. Just use what you have.
- Red chilli pepper - Or a green one!
- Garlic - I love fresh garlic but you can use garlic from a tube or jar or even garlic granules.
- Tinned chopped tomatoes - These really do make pasta dishes easier and are great for this recipe.
- Smoked paprika - Just a little bit extra smoked paprika enhances the flavour that the chorizo gives the sauce.
- Tomatoes - cut into wedges
- Cheese - This is for grating on top so you could use parmesan or for that Spanish vibe why not use Manchego? We also like cheddar!
As well as the tinned tomatoes, we also like to add some wedges of fresh tomato into the sauce at the last minute. I love the chunks of fresh tomato in the sauce but you could leave them out, and even miss out the red pepper and the chilli pepper.
It's the chorizo that is the key ingredient and gives the sauce its distinctive taste. The oil leaks out of the chorizo and flavours the whole dish with paprika, but I also like to add a little extra smoked paprika for an even more intense flavour.
Can you adapt this easy tomato chorizo pasta dish?
This is such a simple pasta dish with not many ingredient but you can adapt it. If you don't have chorizo but are a huge bacon lover then why not try the same recipe but with bacon?
Don't worry if you don't have exactly the same vegetables then vary them to suit your tastes. If you really are running low on fresh ingredients then add some frozen vegetable such as peas or sweetcorn to the pasta when it's almost ready. This is really easy way to add some extra veg to all kinds of pasta recipes.
If the paprika and spices from the chorizo are enough for your tastes then omit the fresh chilli pepper.
How do you store tomato and chorizo pasta?
I love to batch cook this recipe as it's such an easy meal for another night. If I plan to make the pasta earlier in the day and then eat it later then I mix the pasta together and store it in the fridge.
If you want to eat it later in the week it is best to store the pasta and sauce separately. Otherwise the sauce continues to soak into the pasta and can make it soggy.
Cooked pasta should keep for up to 4 days in the fridge. Just stir a spoonful of oil into the cooked pasta before putting it in the fridge. This will stop it from sticking together. To reheat put the pasta into a pan of boiling water and cook it for up to a minute.
The pasta sauce should keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat put it in a saucepan and heat over a medium heat until piping hot.
More pasta recipes
Pasta dishes really are perfect for easy midweek meals as well as being easy to reheat if you make a big batch. For more recipe inspiration and tasty pasta recipes then do have a look at these three easy pasta recipes as well as this quick pasta salad.
If you love spicy recipes then do check out my Easy Spicy Recipes collection!
Easy Tomato and Chorizo Pasta
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (use your preferred oil)
- 100 g cooking chorizo sausages diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced or sliced
- 1 red chilli pepper sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 150 g pasta
- 2 tomatoes cut into eighths (optional)
- 40 g cheese grated to serve (optional)
- Heat a little oil in a wok or saucepan. Add the diced chorizo and fry until beginning to brown. Add the onion, red pepper, crushed garlic and chilli pepper and continue to cook until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes along with the paprika and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Start cooking the pasta.
- When the pasta is ready, stir it into the sauce before serving. Sprinkle grated cheese on the top if you like.
- A couple of minutes before the sauce is ready, stir in the two tomatoes that you've cut into wedges if you like chunks of fresh tomato in the sauce. (Optional)