These spicy cajun sweet potato fries have just 3 ingredients! They're also really simple to cook in the air fryer, although you can bake them if you don't have an air fryer. Such a healthy alternative to traditional fries and very very moreish!
Since getting an air fryer I've been using it more and more often. It's much more economical than switching on the oven and has great results too. There are very few meals where I don't use it for all or at least part of the meal. I've already shared my favourite recipe for normal fries in the air fryer but I also love to make sweet potato chips in it. These cajun sweet potato air fryer fries are really tasty and make a delicious side dish, especially with spicy chicken or burgers.
I do find that sweet potato fries don't crisp up as much as normal potato fries but with the cajun spices on these chips have so much flavour that I really don't mind. Cajun spices are just made for sweet potato in my opinion!
What ingredients do you need for Cajun sweet potato fries?
To make these spiced sweet potato fries you only need 3 ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes - I usually peel them as my son is not keen on the skins but you can leave the skins on, which actually makes them even more nutritious!
- Oil - A plain vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Cajun Seasoning - I used Barts
How to make Air fryer sweet potato fries with Cajun spices
Do check out the recipe card further down the page too. These sweet potato fries are really simple to make. Just peel the sweet potatoes and slice them into fries. Make sure they are no wider than 1cm.
Toss the fries with the oil and cajun spice blend. I use my hand to make sure all the fries are coated in the spice blend.
Preheat the air fryer to 190C. Mine takes 3 minutes (although I have to admit that sometimes I don't bother preheating!)
Put the fries in the air fryer basket. I currently use an Instant Vortex Plus Dual Basket air fryer. For this recipe I would divide the fries between the two baskets as they cook better when not overcrowded.
Half way through the cooking time, take the baskets out and shake them. This helps the fries to cook more evenly.
Can you cook these sweet potato fries in the oven?
Yes, if you don't have an air fryer you can cook the fries in the oven instead. They will take about 30 minutes at 200C. Just lightly oil the baking tray before putting the fries on it.
Can you make this recipe with normal potatoes?
Yes you can. If using normal potatoes they will just need slightly longer to cook so increase the cooking time to about 17 minutes.
It is also a good idea to soak the fries in cold water for 30 minutes before air frying them as normal potatoes contain more starch. After soaking, drain the potatoes well and dry them in a clean tea towel before tossing in the oil and spices.
Storing and reheating leftover sweet potato fries
Any leftover sweet potato fries can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer. They will take about 4 minutes.
Cajun Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- 430 g sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning I used Barts
- I peel the sweet potatoes first but you can leave the skins on if you prefer. Just give them a good scrub first. Then slice into fries about 1cm thick.
- Toss the sweet potato fries with the cajun seasoning and the oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 190°c. Then add the fries. Don't overcrowd the basket. If you have a smaller air fryer you may need to cook them in two batches.
- Cook the fries for 12 minutes, shaking the basket half way through.
More air fryer recipes
If you like using your air fryer then do check out these recipes as well:
- Air fried asparagus with lemon and zaatar
- Air fryer chicken nuggets
- Air fryer crushed potatoes
- Air fryer carrot salad
- Air fried cabbage wedges with harissa
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these cajun sweet potato air fryer fries or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.