These spicy air fryer crushed potatoes are beautifully crispy on the outside and packed with flavour from the spices too. They make a delicious side dish but are so good you'll be tempted to eat a whole plateful as a snack too!
I had been making smashed spicy potatoes in the oven for quite a while when I decided it was time to try cooking them in the air fryer too. After all, the air fryer is more economical and quicker too. These crushed potatoes are just so simple to cook in the air fryer and turn out just as good. There are loads of spicy crispy craggy bits on the outside and soft potato on the inside too. What more could you want?
To make these air fryer potatoes you only need potatoes, oil and spices. I use:
- Potatoes - I use baby potatoes, also called new potatoes. You don't need to peel them as the skins crisp up too. In fact, the skins add extra crispy craggy bits to these smashed air fryer potatoes.
- Oil - I use vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Flavour- To add flavour to these potatoes I mix together salt, garlic powder, paprika and oregano. If you want them to be spicier you can add some chilli powder or cayenne pepper too. Once you've tried this combination then make up your own spice blend or use a ready made spice blend next time you're making smashed potatoes. There are so many possible variations!
How do you make air fryer crushed potatoes?
Do check out the recipe card further down the page as that also explains how to make these crushed potatoes in the air fryer. First you need to wash the potatoes and remove any black bits or discoloured bits from the skin. Prick each potato with a fork or knife.
You need to cook the potatoes before air frying them. You can either boil them in a saucepan for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes. Or you can cook them in the microwave. They will take about 6 minutes in the microwave in a covered bowl with a little water.
Drain the potatoes and then toss them with the oil and spices. Use the back of a spoon to squash them a little. Then transfer them carefully to the air fryer basket. At this point you can give them an extra spray of oil to help make them really crispy. I also sometimes sprinkle on a little extra paprika.
Cook them in the air fryer at 200C for about 15 minutes.
Eat them as soon as they are cooked!
Storing the leftovers
Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. They will keep for up to three days.
Can you reheat them?
Yes, if you don't eat all these air fryer smashed potatoes, just pop them back in the air fryer later for about 3-4 minutes and they will crispy up again. You can also reheat them in the oven. They'll take about 5 minutes.
Can you cook them in the oven instead of the air fryer?
Yes of course! When I first started making spicy crushed potatoes like this I always used the oven. They take a bit longer to cook and crisp up - about 25 minutes at 200C but they will taste just as good.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course. Try varying the spices or using a pre-mixed spice blend. I think cajun or piri piri work really well.
If you want a plainer potato side dish then just add oil and a little salt. I love the spices on these air fryer smashed potatoes but you can keep them simple if you want too!
What to serve with air fryer crushed potatoes
These crushed baby potatoes really are a great side with so many diffrent meals. You can have them with anything that you would normally eat with chips or potatoes. I love them with grilled chicken, burgers and ribs. It's totally up to you what you serve them with!
Spicy Crushed Air Fryer Potatoes
- 750 g baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil sunflower or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Wash and clean the potatoes. Leave the skins on but remove any blemishes. Prick them all with a fork or knife.
- Cook the potatoes either by boiling them for 10 minutes on the hob or cooking them in the microwave in a little water for about 6 minutes.
- Coat the potatoes in the oil and spices. Take each potato and crush it slightly with the back of a spoon. Transfer to the basket of an air fryer. Brush with a little extra oil and spices to make them extra crispy if you want.
- Cook in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 200°c.
- If you don't have an air fryer then you can cook these potatoes in the oven too. Follow the same instructions but instead of putting the crushed potatoes in an air fryer, place them on a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Bake them in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Brush with a little oil after 15 minutes to help make them really crispy.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you like these smashed air fryer potatoes then do try one of these air fryer recipes:
- Spicy air fryer chips (fries)
- Cajun sweet potato fries
- Air fryer chicken nuggets
- Air fried asparagus with za'atar
- Air fryer carrot salad
- Air fryer brussels sprouts salad
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these spicy air fryer crushed potatoes or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.