Easy to make, this bacon and chicken chilli recipe is a simple one pot dish that's perfect for an easy midweek meal. Why not make a big batch as it's ideal for meal prepping and so tasty too!
There are some ingredient combinations which are always going to be good together. One of these is chicken and bacon. Add some tomato and some cheese and it is hard to beat for cold weather comfort food. I love a good chicken and bacon recipe and this is definitely one to remember!
The great thing about this bacon and chicken chilli recipe is that it doesn't contain too many ingredients and many of them are store cupboard items. I always have a few tins of chopped tomatoes and some beans in the cupboard. Onions are something I never run out of as I use them practically every day and the same for chilli peppers. It's easy but so so good!
Ingredient notes for chicken and bacon chilli
To make this chicken and bacon chilli you'll need:
- Chicken - Feel free to use chicken breast or thigh meat. My family prefer breast but I think thigh meat is great in this.
- Bacon - Use smoked or unsmoked. I think smoked has more flavour but it's totally up to you.
- Cannellini beans - If you don't have cannellini beans feel free to replace them with another tinned bean such as kidney beans, black beans or borlotti beans.
- Tinned tomatoes - I use tinned chopped tomatoes but you can use tinned plum tomatoes and just break them up with the spoon or even use passata if you don't have tinned tomatoes.
- Onion - You can use a red on brown onion or even replace them with shallots.
- Chilli pepper - If you don't want it to be too hot them remove the seeds. Add more if you want it hotter. I've used supermarket chillies but feel free to use your favourite kind of chillies.
- Chipotle paste - When I first made this recipe I didn't add the chipotle paste but I think it adds more depth of flavour to this chilli and now I always add a couple of generous teaspoons of it.
- Green beans - I love the green beans in this. It makes it into a really beany chilli. However, if you don't have green beans you can sustitute them with a different vegetable.
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) - Of course, if yo're one of those people who doesn't like coriander, miss it out. Alternatively you can add a herb such as parley for a bit of freshness.
How to make this chicken and bacon chilli
This chicken and bacon chili recipe is really easy to make. There is a full recipe card further down the post too.
Basically i fry the bacon first in a large saucepan till it's crispy. This also adds flavour to the pan. I remove a little bit to use as a topping.
Then I fry the onion, garlic and chilli pepper for about 5 minutes over a gentle heat. Then stir in the chicken.
Once the chicken has browned slightly on all sides, add the chipotle paste. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
Can you adapt the heat in this chilli recipe?
Yes of course! It's easy to adapt the heat in this chilli recipe to suit your family. I use one red chilli pepper when I'm preparing it and I leave the seeds in. However, you can use more for a more fiery chilli recipe. You can also remove the seeds to make it much milder.
These days I also add chiptle paste to give the chilli more flavour and extra spice. If you don't want extra spice then miss it out or miss out the additional chilli pepper.
If I'm serving it to a group of people then I like to serve extra sliced chilli peppers, jalapenos or hot sauce with it so everyone can customise their meal. That way it suits everyone.
How else can you adapt this chilli recipe?
This chicken and bean chilli recipe is really easy to prepare and simple to adapt too.
You can vary the vegetables you use. Instead of the green beans, why not use kale, bell peppers or butternut squash?
What additional toppings are great for this bacon and chicken chilli?
I love some cheese on this chicken chilli. Bacon and chicken recipes just go so well with cheese. I usually use cheddar but you can use whatever kind of cheese you prefer.
Other chilli toppings that are great include:
- Spring onions
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Coriander (cilantro)
What else to serve with this chicken chilli recipe?
You can serve this easy chilli recipe with rice, bread or tacos. It's also great just on it's own for a low carb high protein meal.
The Inspiration for this bacon chicken chilli recipe
When I first made this bacon and chicken chilli recipe it was as part of the Secret Recipe Club which no longer exists. The recipe is inspired by a dish by Jean at The Tasty Cheapskate. I wanted to make something tasty, warming and of course easy. I had so many recipes to choose from but I soon chose this chilli. Not only did it contain ingredients I love, I already had everything I needed at home. No shopping required. Even better.
Bacon and Chicken Chilli Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 6 rashers bacon
- 400 g tin cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 chilli pepper finely sliced
- 2 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 100 g green beans or another vegetables
- 10 g fresh coriander (cilantro)
- grated cheese optional
- sour cream optional
- lime optional
- Chop the bacon and fry in the bottom of a saucepan in a little oil. When it is cooked, remove some from the pan to keep as a garnish.
- Add the onion and chilli pepper to the pan and cook until it is soft. Then stir in the chipotle paste. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until it is white on the outside.
- Add the beans, vegetables and chopped tomatoes and simmer for at least 10 minutes. I often let it simmer for 20 minutes though.
- Stir in the coriander, reserving a little to garnish with. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the toppings of your choice.
More Chilli Recipes
If you like this chicken chilli then why not try one of my other chillies?
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this chicken and bacon chilli recipe or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.