If you're looking for a healthy low carb chicken salad then try this green bean, chicken and hazelnut salad! It's easy to make, really fresh and nutty and the leftovers are just as tasty the next day.
As the weather is getting warmer, at least most of the time, it's starting to feel like it's time to eat lighter meals. To fill up on healthy vegetables and protein and to leave some of the carbs aside. With this hazelnut chicken salad you can do exactly that. Or not, if you fancy some bread on the side then go for it. Who am I to judge?
You may notice that this is yet another meal using griddled chicken. Yes, I have been getting my griddle pan out rather a lot recently. I love using simple marinades on white meat and then serving the meat with a fresh salad.
This time I was keen to use the Maille Hazelnut Oil I'd been sent. It has a sweet roasted hazelnut flavour and I felt it would go well with a bit of lemon juice. It did. After marinating the chicken, I griddled it and it stayed lovely and moist but with delicious caramelized bits around the edges and where it had browned against the griddle pan.
The salad with the green beans, apples and lettuce is fresh tasting and complements the chicken really well. The dressing which is made almost the same way as the marinade, just brings it all together. I could happily eat this salad again and again.
What can you do with the leftovers?
If you have any leftovers then just keep them in the fridge. This salad keeps really well for at least 24 hours and so is great for packed lunches the next day. It can also be brought on picnics.
Green Bean, Chicken and Hazelnut Salad Recipe
Green Bean, Chicken and Hazelnut Salad
Ingredients for the Marinade
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp hazelnut oil I used Maille
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
Ingredients for the Salad
- 100 g green beans
- ¼ iceberg lettuce shredded
- ½ apple cored and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 tbsp hazelnut oil
- Pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Prepare the marinade by mixing together all the marinade ingredients except the chicken.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts or slice them in half horizontally to make them thinner and easier to cook on the griddle.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Brush a little oil onto a griddle pan. When it's hot, put the chicken on to cook.
- Griddle for about 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. When ready, slice the chicken into about strips.
- Boil the green beans for about 3 minutes and then drain and place in cold water immediately.
- Put the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan. Keep shaking every 30 seconds to turn them. When they begin to turn golden, remove them from the the heat and let them cool a little.
- When the hazelnuts are cool enough to handle, chop them into halves or quarters.
- Drain the green beans and pat dry. Mix the beans, lettuce and apple together and toss with some of the dressing. Divide between 2 plates.
- Scatter on a few hazelnuts. Top with the chicken. Scatter on a few more hazelnuts. Drizzle the rest of the dressing over the top. Serve immediately so the chicken is still warm.
More Chicken Salad Recipes
Why not also try my Chicken and peach salad with a peach vinaigrette?
Or how about my chicken salad with chamoy sauce and marinade?
Keep in Touch
Do let me know if you make this green bean, chicken and hazelnut salad or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable.
Disclosure: I developed this recipe as my second contribution to the Maille Culinary Challenge and was sent a free sample of the Maille Hazelnut Oil.