Have you tried air fried brussels sprouts yet? They are delicious as a simple side dish but also absolutely amazing in this air fryer brussel sprouts salad. It's a tasty combination along with brie, onions, almonds and a tongue-tingling hot sauce vinaigrette!
If you haven't tried brussels sprouts in the air fryer yet then you need to! They are just like roasted brussels sprouts but you can cook them a little more quickly. I love the slight char and caramelisation on them. It's a perfect match with the sweeter red onion and the spicy salad dressing.
If you're anything like me you may have grown up only eating soggy boiled brussels sprouts with a roast dinner. So, you have to trust me when I say eating them like this, cooked in the air fryer is an abosolute game changer. Brussels sprouts are not just a green vegetable side dish, they can be the star of the show! Just as air fried broccoli can be!
Let me show you how good brussels sprouts can be in this seasonal winter salad.
Ingredients for air fried brussels sprouts salad
To make this delicious air fryer salad you'll need:
- Brussels sprouts - I use raw brussels sprouts and halve them before air frying. You can replace them with frozen brussels sprouts but keep them whole when cooking.
- Red onion - Brown onions are fine too. I just like the colour contrast of the red onions.
- Olive oil - I use extra virgin olive oil for this as I'm using it for the dressing and so really want a good quality one
- Hot sauce - I haven't specified which brand as you can use your favourite one.
- Apple cider vinegar - You can use a different vinegar instead. Sherry, white or red wine vinegars all work well.
- Seasoning - Just a little salt and black pepper
- Salad leaves - I often use rocket but any green salad leaves work well.
- Brie - I love the textures of brie and love how the soft middle melts into the hot air fried vegetables. If you don't have brie you can replace it with a different cheese though.
- Almonds - Almonds work so well brussels sprouts as they are quite a sweet nuts and they complement the bitterness of the brussels sprouts.
How do you make this air fried brussels sprouts salad?
This simple autumnal salad with brussels sprouts is really easy to make. Do check out the full recipe card further down the page too.
First just mix together all the ingredients for the dressing - olive oil, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Halve the brussels sprouts and cut the onion into wedges. Toss these ingredients in about 2 tablespoons of the dressing.
Then put everyting in the air fryer and air fry for 8 minutes. I like my veggies to have a bit of bite but if you want the brussels sprouts to be a little softer then you can parboil them first, just for a couple of minutes.
When the veggies are cooked to your liking, arrange everything on a plate and pour over the remaining dressing.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course. There are so many ways you can adapt this quick and easy air fried brussels sprouts salad. If you don't want a spicy dressing, then replace the hot sauce with honey.
If you have a few extra veggies that you want to use up, throw them in the air fryer too!
If you don't have Brie then you can replace it with a different cheese. If you don't have almonds then try using a different kind of nut. Pistachios work really well with brussels sprouts.
Can you cook the vegetables in the oven?
Yes of course! If you don't have an air fryer you can still make this delicous brusssels sprouts salad. Just preheat the oven to about 200C and roast them for about 20-25 minutes.
What can you serve with it?
I like to eat this as it is for a light healthy lunch. However, if you want to make it a bit more substantial, add some bread on the side.
What can you do with the leftovers?
Any leftover air fried brussels sprouts or onions can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. You can revive them by popping them in the air fryer again for about 4 minutes.
It is best to store the dressing separately from the vegetables and assemble again when you are ready to eat it. If any salad leaves have got dressing on they will go soggy and so are best eaten when the salad is first prepared.
Air Fried Brussels Sprouts Salad
Ingredients for the air fryer
- 200 g Brussels sprouts I like slightly crunchy brussels sprouts. If you like them to be softer then parboil for 2 minutes before starting the recipe.
- 1 Red onion
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar You can use white or red wine vinegar instead
- 1 tablespoon Hot sweet chilli sauce
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Black pepper
Other Salad Ingredients
- Salad leaves I used rocket (arugula)
- Brie cut into slices
- Almonds I used roasted salted almonds but you can use plain ones too
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half and the onion into wedges. T
- Mix up the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the amount of hot sauce especially to suit your tastes.
- Add two tablespoons of the sauce to the brussels sprouts and onion and toss together.
- Place in the air fryer and air fry for 8 minutes.
- Assemble the salad by arranging everything on a plate and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
More air fryer recipes!
If you like the sound of this air fried brussels sprouts recipe then do check out some more of my veggie air fryer recipes:
- Air Fried Carrot Salad
- Air Fried Asparagus with lemon and za'atar
- Cajun sweet potatoes in the air fryer
- Spicy air fryer crushed potatoes
- Roasted (or air fried) butternut squash salad
- Spicy air fryer chips (fries)
- Whole air fried cauliflower in garlic butter
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this air fried brussels sprouts salad or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.