Smoky, spicy and with a citrus tang, this chipotle lime mayo is so easy to make and really can liven up a simple salad or wrap. It's so versatile and is an easy way of adding a kick to your usual mayonnaise.
I love the smoky spiciness of chipotle chilli paste and often add it to chicken or halloumi dishes. It's also great in these homemade burgers. However, recently I've discovered just how tasty it is with mayonnaise and have been making this simple chipotle lime mayo to go with lots of our summer meals.
To be honest, you barely need a recipe for this easy spiced mayonnaise. It's more of a recipe idea as I would advise you to go easy on the chipotle paste and then add more until you get the right level of spiciness.
What ingredients do you need for chipotle lime mayo?
To make this spicy mayonnaise you'll need:
- Mayonnaise - I use a bought mayonnaise but you could make your own first if you wanted.
- Lime - I use the lime juice from a freshly squeezed lime, not the lime juice from a bottle. I think it just tastes a lot fresher and more vibrant. If you use a fresh lime you can also grate the zest first for an extra bit of citrus flavour.
- Chipotle paste - I use a paste to make this but if you just have jarred chipotle chillies, just dice them first.
How do you make chipotle lime mayo?
It couldn't be easier to make this mayonnaise. Just mix everything together. Don't add too much chipotle to begin with though. It's best to add a little, taste and then add more so you get the right level of flavour to suit you.
Can you adapt the recipe?
This chipotle mayonnaise recipe is very simple but there are a few subtle adaptations you can make. Why not add:
- lime zest
- crushed garlic
- extra black pepper
- finely diced herbs. Coriander (cilantro) is lovely.
You can also adapt the recipe to make different flavoured spiced mayonnaises. Why not experiment with:
- Adding harissa, sriracha or another hot sauce
- Add powdered spices such as ras el hanout, berbere or whatever your favourite spice blend is
How long does it stay fresh?
After mixing up this mayo, it's best to eat it up within three days. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
What to serve with this chipotle lime mayo?
There are so many ways you can serve this mayonnaise. It's great with all kinds of Mexican recipes. Think fajitas, tacos and nachos. Why not also try one of these ideas:
- Mix it with tuna or egg to make a spiced egg mayonnaise sandwich or a spiced tuna sandwich.
- Serve it with homemade potato wedges or chips (fries).
- Use it on a potato salad to add a bit of a kick.
- Add it to mashed potato
- Use it on coleslaw to add extra flavour
More tasty Mexican inspired recipes
I love the flavours in Mexican food and these Mexican inspired recipes are all super tasty and great for anyone who loves spicy food:
You might also like my spicy midweek meals recipe collection.
Chipotle Lime Mayo
- 3 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1-2 teaspoon Chipotle paste
- Mix together all the ingredients but don't add all the chipotle at first. Keep tasting it and add a little more to suit your tastes.
Pin for later
Places I'm sharing this recipe
Cook Blog Share hosted by Sew White