These turkey tacos make a fun party meal for children or a tasty family meal even without the pirate flags!
There was a time when dinner meant dinner. Just good food to eat. Nowadays dinner can mean a whole new level of creativity. Especially when I want the little spices to eat a balanced meal.
These turkey pirate boat tacos turned out to be exactly what I needed after a pirate themed playdate. Just adding a little pirate flag on the top of each taco turned a simple meal of turkey tacos into a fun pirate themed dinner.
I have to admit that I do eat chicken more often than I eat turkey, but turkey is a really versatile meat too and it's a shame that often it gets forgotten about. It's a healthy low-fat meat and is perfect for marinating. I was making these tacos for the children so the marinade I used didn't contain a lot of heat but was still really tasty. You could easily add a little more cayenne pepper if you wanted to make a more fiery turkey taco.
A great meal to make ahead
As these turkey tacos are very quick to cook, it's a great meal to make when you don't have much time. I prepared all the vegetables earlier in the day when I mixed up the marinade so when it came to dinner time I needed less than 10 minutes to get everything cooked and on the table.
The recipe I've created is my entry into the #TurkeyTractorChallenge competition to create a delicious and innovative recipe using quality British turkey. The competition is being run by British Turkey and Red Tractor and the theme for the competition is 'Pirates'.
The turkey meat I used contained the Red Tractor logo which assures that the product has been produced to the highest food standards . The Red Tractor logo can also be found on a range of dairy products, fruit and vegetables as well as crop based foods and drinks e.g flour and beer. As well as the turkey in these tacos, the onions, peppers and garlic are also Red Tractor assured.
Turkey Pirate Ship Tacos
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground all spice berries
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g turkey cut into strips
- ½ red pepper sliced
- ½ yellow pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 15 g coriander cilantro, chopped
- 12 taco shells
- Grated cheese
- Chopped coriander
- Chopped tomatoes
- Pirate flags
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients. Taste and add a little extra of some of the spices if necessary.
- Add the turkey to the marinade and stir well so all the pieces are coated in the marinade. Put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan. When it's hot, add the turkey strips. Cook, stirring a little for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes until the turkey is cooked through and the vegetables have softened slightly but are still a bit crunchy. Stir in the coriander at the end.
- Warm the tacos for a couple of minutes in the oven at 180C or put them in the microwave for 20 seconds
- Serve the filling in the tacos with the garnishes alongside.