The chicken for these healthy sriracha chicken tacos is slow cooked and shredded to make a really tasty easy meal. It is then served on lettuce leaves to make a light alternative to traditional tacos.
I am always looking out for ideas for easy healthy chicken dinners. Our main meals quite often involve chicken and if it's relatively healthy and spicy too then that's even better.
If you can't resist a spicy chicken dinner and if you're a big fan of sriracha sauce then these sriracha chicken tacos NEED to go on your meal plan!
They're so simple to make. Just cook the chicken in the slow cooker with sriracha sauce (and a few other ingredients!) Then shred it before serving in the tacos along with some tomatoes, onions and chilli peppers.
If you're at home you just need a few minutes to prep earlier in the day and then a few minutes hands on time before serving.
What ingredients do you need for sriracha chicken tacos?
The ingredients that go in the slow cooker are:
- Soy sauce - I use light soy sauce
- Tomato puree
- Sriracha sauce - I always use bought sriracha sauce but if you want to try making your own you could try this sriracha sauce recipe!
- White wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- Honey - Runny honey is best here
- Sesame oil
- Chicken - My family always want me to cook chicken breasts but personally I think skinless chicken thighs work the best here. They are less likely to dry out.
If you choose to make the tomato salsa to go with the sriracha chicken tacos then you'll also need:
- Tomatoes - Juicy ripe ones are definitely best here
- Onions - Spring onions, red onions or brown onions are all great.
- A chilli pepper - You can use jalapenos if you like. If you're family are not too keen on too much heat then miss this out and just have the heat from the sriracha sauce
- Lime juice - You definitely need fresh limes for this recipe
Then for serving you'll just need:
- Lettuce leaves - To use as taco shells.
- Tacos - Taco shells or soft tacos are all fine. Not everyone in our family wants to put the sriracha chicken in a lettuce leaf taco!
- Optional extras - Cheese, sour cream, more lime juice, extra sriracha sauce
How can you adapt these sriracha chicken tacos?
These are healthy tacos served in lettuce leaves rather than traditional taco shells but of course, there's nothing to stop you from placing the lettuce leaves inside tacos too. I have to admit that I like to do that!
I don't usually adapt the basic recipe that goes in the slow cooker but I do play around with the toppings. Extra onions, sliced peppers and more tomatoes are all good.
I prefer these without grated cheese on top as I don't think the Asian flavours of soy, sriracha and sesame oil in the chicken need any cheese. However, I know some taco lovers think it's not a proper taco if it doesn't have some cheese on top!
How else could you serve the sriracha chicken?
The flavours in the chicken are lovely and the chicken is deliciously tender cooked like this. Although I served the chicken in lettuce leaf tacos, you could serve it in lot of different ways - as part of a salad, in a sandwich or on a pizza even.
What can you do with the leftovers?
Any leftover sriracha chicken can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. It's great for quick and easy lunches in a sandwich, wrap or jacket potato.
You can also freeze it for up to three months. Make sure it's in an airtight container so it doesn't get freezer burn. Before using it, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
More spicy chicken recipes
If you're a fan of spicy chicken recipes then do check out one of these easy spicy midweek meals:
You might also like my spicy midweek meals recipe collection!
Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 chicken breasts
For the Tomato Salsa
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 1 chilli pepper finely sliced
- ½ lime juiced
Additional extras for serving
- Lettuce leaves
- Taco shells
- Cheese grated
- Sour cream
- Mix together the first 6 ingredients.
- Put the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top. I added a little water too, about 50 ml.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Heat the sauce to reduce it a little.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salsa
- Let everyone put their own tacos together at the table.