The chicken for these healthy sriracha chicken tacos is slow cooked and shredded to make a really tasty easy meal. It is then served on lettuce leaves to make a light alternative to traditional tacos.
I am always looking out for ideas for easy healthy chicken dinners. Our main meals quite often involve chicken and if it's relatively healthy and spicy too then that's even better.
If you can't resist a spicy chicken dinner and if you're a big fan of sriracha sauce then these sriracha chicken tacos NEED to go on your meal plan!
They're so simple to make. Just cook the chicken in the slow cooker with sriracha sauce (and a few other ingredients!) Then shred it before serving in the tacos along with some tomatoes, onions and chilli peppers.
If you're at home you just need a few minutes to prep earlier in the day and then a few minutes hands on time before serving.
What ingredients do you need for sriracha chicken tacos?
The ingredients that go in the slow cooker are:
- Soy sauce - I use light soy sauce
- Tomato puree
- Sriracha sauce - I always use bought sriracha sauce but if you want to try making your own you could try this sriracha sauce recipe!
- White wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- Honey - Runny honey is best here
- Sesame oil
- Chicken - My family always want me to cook chicken breasts but personally I think skinless chicken thighs work the best here. They are less likely to dry out.
If you choose to make the tomato salsa to go with the sriracha chicken tacos then you'll also need:
- Tomatoes - Juicy ripe ones are definitely best here
- Onions - Spring onions, red onions or brown onions are all great.
- A chilli pepper - You can use jalapenos if you like. If you're family are not too keen on too much heat then miss this out and just have the heat from the sriracha sauce
- Lime juice - You definitely need fresh limes for this recipe
Then for serving you'll just need:
- Lettuce leaves - To use as taco shells.
- Tacos - Taco shells or soft tacos are all fine. Not everyone in our family wants to put the sriracha chicken in a lettuce leaf taco!
- Optional extras - Cheese, sour cream, more lime juice, extra sriracha sauce
How do you make these sriracha chicken tacos?
These chicken tacos are really easy to make. First just mix together all the ingredients for the sauce. Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top.
Cook on low for about 4 hours or high for about 2 hours.
Once the sriracha chicken is cooked, remove the breasts from the slow cooker and simmer the sauce to reduce it by about half. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
Stir the sauce into the chicken.
The chicken can then be served hard, soft or lettuce tacos!
What equipment do you need to make them?
I currently use my Crockpot Turbo Express MultiCooker. It's got slow cooker and pressure cooker functions, as well as many other setting so it's ideal for meals like this!
How can you adapt these sriracha chicken tacos?
These are healthy tacos served in lettuce leaves rather than traditional taco shells but of course, there's nothing to stop you from placing the lettuce leaves inside tacos too. I have to admit that I like to do that!
I don't usually adapt the basic recipe that goes in the slow cooker but I do play around with the toppings. Extra onions, avocado, sliced peppers and more tomatoes are all good.
I prefer these without grated cheese on top as I don't think the Asian flavours of soy, sriracha and sesame oil in the chicken need any cheese. However, I know some taco lovers think it's not a proper taco if it doesn't have some cheese on top!
How else could you serve the sriracha chicken?
The flavours in the chicken are lovely and the chicken is deliciously tender cooked like this. Although I served the chicken in lettuce leaf tacos, you could serve it in lot of different ways - as part of a salad, in a sandwich or on a pizza even.
What can you do with the leftovers?
Any leftover sriracha chicken can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. It's great for quick and easy lunches in a sandwich, wrap or jacket potato.
You can also freeze it for up to three months. Make sure it's in an airtight container so it doesn't get freezer burn. Before using it, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
More spicy chicken recipes
If you're a fan of spicy chicken recipes then do check out one of these easy spicy midweek meals:
You might also like my spicy midweek meals recipe collection!
Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 chicken breasts
For the Tomato Salsa
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 1 chilli pepper finely sliced
- ½ lime juiced
Additional extras for serving
- Lettuce leaves
- Taco shells
- Cheese grated
- Sour cream
- Mix together the first 6 ingredients.
- Put the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top. I added a little water too, about 50 ml.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Heat the sauce to reduce it a little. This can be done in the slow cooker if you have a saute setting. If not, transfer the sauce to a pan on the hob.
- Stir the sauce into the chicken.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salsa
- Let everyone put their own tacos together at the table.
Pressure cooker instructions
- If you have a multicooker, the chicken can also be cooked on the pressure cook setting. I use my Crockpot pressure multicooker which takes 35 minutes to cook the chicken. All other steps are the same.
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these slow cooker shredded sriracha chicken lettuce tacos or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
You can also stay up to date by following on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
I love the use of lettuce leafs instead of taco shells!
Thank you! I did put a couple inside taco shells as well though as I love the crunchiness of tacos too!
We're fans of Sriracha here too, and those Sriracha lettuce wraps look like a yummy way to get some more of that Sriracha in too. 🙂
Exactly! I only discovered sriracha earlier this year but I'm a big fan of it now.
Honest Mum (@HonestMummy)
How delicious is this! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays x
This looks great! I love sriacha, will definitely give these a try!! 🙂
I hope you like them!
So glad you liked these!
Thanks for a great recipe!
You had me at Sriracha! Love that you used lettuce leaves instead of taco shells too!
Well, I have to admit I did put some of the lettuce leaves inside taco shells too!
Strength and Sunshine
Love sriracha and chicken! Perfect dish!
Love the slow cooker idea! Would have to leave the sriracha out for me, though, I'm a wuss!
Slow cookers are great, aren't they. You could just use a tomato sauce instead of the sriracha. It would be different but still good if you don't like your food to be too hot.
These sound terrific!! Would be perfect for Game Day grub! Nice SRC choice!! 🙂
Thank you Kelly!
We love tacos!! This sounds like a great combination of flavors... I would try the lettuce leaf with the taco shell as back up! 🙂
I'm glad you like it!