This quick pico de gallo recipe is perfect with fajitas, tacos, nachos, barbecued food and all kinds of summer salads. It's a great salsa or side dish: full of fresh vibrant flavours with a bit of chilli heat too!
Whenever I make fajitas I always make guacamole and this quick pico de gallo to top them with. It just wouldn't be right without it. The freshness of the raw tomatoes and onions along with the fresh herbs really help to make this a great little side salad.
Not only is is great with tacos and fajitas, it's a lovely dish to make in summer to serve with grilled or barbecued kebabs, fish and halloumi. Although it's a traditional Mexican recipe, it doesn't just have to be served with Mexican food. We also love it with lots of Mediterranean inspired meals.
What ingredients do you need for pico de gallo?
To make this raw Mexican salsa you'll need:
- Tomatoes - I prefer to use larger tomatoes not cherry tomatoes but it is up to you.
- Red onion - I love the colour and the fact that they are not quite as strong as brown onions. However, brown onions also work.
- Coriander - I love lots of fresh coriander (cilantro) in pico de gallo but sometimes I do miss it out if we don't have any.
- Chilli pepper - the kind you use will affect how hot the salsa is so it is up to you what you choose to use.
- Lime - Like with most of my recipes that contain limes, freshly squeezed lime juice is definitely my prefered option.
- Seasoning - lots of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
How to make pico de gallo
This salsa is really really easy to make. It's just a matter of chopping everything up and stirring everything together.
What equipment do you need?
Just a sharp knife and a chopping board.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Feel free to vary the proportions of tomato and onion depending on your preferences.
You can also use more or fewer chilli peppers to suit those you are serving it to.
I make this a lot and if we don't have any fresh herbs I still make it but just miss out the coriander. I've also had to make it with lemon when realising we didn't have lime at the last minute. It was still totally delicious!
You can also add a little diced bell pepper or even some corn. That may not be a traditional pico de gallo but it is a great side dish!
More serving suggestions
As I said earlier, this quick pico de gallo recipe is great with all kinds of Mexican foods and more. Why not try some of these ideas:
- Scatter it on top of a pizza
- Use it on a jacket potato
- Put it in a wrap with tinned tuna or black beans
- Eat with pitta breads and dips as part of mezze spread
Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. Just stir well before serving.
More Mexican inspired recipes
If you like this pico de gallo then do check out one of these recipes:
You might also like my salads recipe collection.
Pico de Gallo
- 4 tomatoes diced
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoon coriander chopped
- 1 chilli pepper Use japalenos if you like
- 1 lime juiced
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Dice all the vegetables. Squeeze the lime.
- Mix together all the ingredients.
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this pico de gallo or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.