If you need a simple midweek chicken recipe then these easy weeknight chicken fajitas are spot on. Put the chicken in the marinade in the morning and then cook in less than 10 minutes later in the day. Super simple, super tasty and a real family favourite recipe too.
If your family love spicy chicken dishes then they'll love these easy chicken fajitas. I've been making this recipe for over 10 years but somehow it's only just made it onto the blog now.
It's the kind of recipe I make when I want an easy dinner and I know my husband and kids will all love it too. They're just perfect if you love spicy Mexican flavours!
As well as being a great midweek recipe, these easy chicken fajitas are also ideal for easy entertaining. It's also the kind of dinner I love to cook when friends come round as it's so easy to prep in advance and quick to cook at dinner time.
There's very little work to do when your guests are actually there and whenever I've made them they've always proved to be a hit!
What ingredients do you need for easy chicken fajitas?
To make these fajitas you'll need:
- Chicken breast - I usually use breast as my family prefer it but there's nothing to stop you using chicken thighs. They will just take a few more minute to cook.
- Lime - This is for the marinade and freshly squeezed lime juice adds so much more flavour than the bottled lime juice you can get.
- Spices - Cumin, paprika, chilli powder and allspice
- Dried thyme - Use a little fresh thyme instead if you have it.
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper - I like to two or three different colours of pepper so will use half or a third of each one.
- Onion - Red or brown onions are fine. I use whatever I happen to have.
How to prepare chicken fajitas?
These weeknight chicken fajitas are very easy and quick to cook. However, it's best to allow at least an hour for the chicken to marinate before you cook them.
So, the night before or the morning before you plan to make them, mix up all the ingredients for the marinade, slice the chicken into thin strips and coat in the marinade.
When you come to cook the fajitas, heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan, stir fry the chicken and then add sliced peppers and onions at the end.
They are super quick to cook and will be ready in less than 10 minutes.
How to serve chicken fajitas
Serve the chicken fajitas with corn or flour tortilla wraps. Put the fajitas in the wrap plus your favourite toppings and then just wrap it up and eat it. Our favourite toppings are:
- Pico de gallo - a finely chopped salad made with tomatoes, onion, coriander and chilli peppers
- Guacamole - You can buy it or make your own. At it's simplest it can just be mashed avocado with lime juice.
- Sour cream - Or mayonnaise when we don't have sour cream. Sometimes I make this chipotle lime mayo which is great with the fajitas too.
- Hot sauce - My hubby loves cholula. I'm happy without for these!
- Cheese - We usually have Cheddar or Red Leicester. Use whatever cheese your family prefers.
- Extra fresh herbs - We love extra coriander (cilantro)
- Chilli peppers - Pickled jalapenos or any other freshly sliced or diced chillies
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes of course. You can make the fajitas with beef or pork instead of chicken.
If you want a vegetarian version you can use halloumi instead of chicken. Or add some black beans. I'd also use extra peppers and maybe some courgette (zucchini) too.
Can you make them spicier?
Yes! I often add one or two sliced chilli peppers to the fajitas to increase the heat level.
However, if you are serving fajitas to a group of people and some like spicier food than others, then there are other ways of making them hotter.
- Serve extra hot sauce on the side
- Have a bowl of jalapenos on the table
- Dice some fresh chilli peppers to put on the table or have a pot of of dried chilli flakes
This keeps everyone happy and the meal is still family friendly!
Can you prepare chicken fajitas in advance?
Yes, you can. Sometimes I cook the fajitas eariler in the day and then just reheat them at dinner time. Or often I'll cook them earlier for the children but then my husband and I will eat later.
They reheat easily in the microwave or you can stir fry them again until piping hot. Just add a tablespoon of water so they don't dry out.
Store any leftover chicken fajitas in the fridge. They'll keep for up to three days. Just reheat when you're ready to serve them.
Can you freeze fajitas?
Yes you can. You can freeze cooked chicken fajitas for up to a month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat thoroughly before serving.
More spicy midweek meal recipes
If you like these recipes then do check out my spicy midweek meals recipe collection or one of these recipes:
You might also like my spicy chicken wraps with mango yogurt dressing.
Weeknight Chicken Fajitas
- 500 g chicken breast
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice berries
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the rest of the fajitas
- 1 bell pepper Use a half one colour and half another colour, cut into slices
- 1 onion red or brown onion, sliced
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Put in the marinade and stir to coat well. Put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan. Stir fry the chicken until almost cooked.
- Add the peppers and onions. Continue to cook on a high heat, stirring until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with tortillla wraps, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo and any extra fillings you like.
Pin for later
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these chicken fajitas or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.