This roasted butternut squash salad is the perfect choice for a tasty meatless meal. It's a really simple recipe to make and the quantities can easily be increased to feed a crowd! It's also just as easy to prep the butternut squash in the air fryer if you have one.
Roasted butternut squash is one of my favourite veggies to put into a salad at this time of year. It's delicious, filling and looks great too! Plus, its sweetness is amazing when paired with the creamy saltiness of the feta cheese. Although I've called this a roasted butternut squash salad, I now prefer to air fry the butternut squash as it's quicker and more energy efficient than switching on the oven.
Butternut squash also goes brilliantly with nuts and I've added pecans to this salad too. Walnuts also work just as well and I tend to use whichever I have when making this salad.
It's a great main meal salad as it's filling enough to eat as a main meal and it contains some of my favourite ingredients. You can't beat the combination of roasted vegetables with nuts and cheese, especially when served with this delicious honey mustard dressing. It's sweet, sharp and hot - so good!
When I first posted this salad it was as part of recipe sharing group and the original recipe it is inspired by can be found on The Foodie Physician.
Ingredient notes for butternut squash salad
To make this salad you'll need:
- Butternut squash - This can be replace with a pumpkin or another orange coloured squash.
- Thyme - I use a little dried thyme but feel free to use fresh thyme if you have it.
- Seasoning - A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Olive oil - You can use a different oil if you prefer or even a flavoured oil such as chilli oil or a herbal olive oil.
- Nuts - I use pecans or walnuts but I'm sure other nuts would work well too. Hazelnuts would work very well.
- Salad leaves
- Feta cheese
And for the dressing you'll need:
- White wine vinegar - Red wine vinegar and cider vinegar also work well. You could even use balsamic vinegar.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Agave nectar or honey
How to make this butternut squash salad
To make this roasted (or air fried) butternut squash salad I first cut up the butternut squash and toss through the salt, pepper, thyme and a little oil. I then put it in the air fryer for about 20 minutes at 180C. Or in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
When the squash is ready, take it out and set aside. Put the nuts in the air fryer and air fry for just 3 minutes. This will really bring out their flavour!
Mix the dressing by putting the oil, vinegar, mustard and honey/agave nectar in a jug and whisk together.
Finally, assemble the salad by arranging everything on a plate and drizzling over the dressing
How can you adapt this butternut squash salad?
There are so many ways to adapt this salad. You can switch up the kind of squash you use or even use sweet potatoes instead of squash.
Instead of using honey in the dressing, experiment with using maple syrup or agave nectar
I like to use English mustard in this salad as it packs more of a punch than other mustards. However, some people prefer a milder French mustard. Dijon mustard for example works really well.
You can also add some dried fruit such as dried cranberries. They add a delicious festive feel to this winter salad, although I'm quite happy to eat it as it is.
What can you serve with this salad?
I like to serve this salad as it is. It makes a lovely light main meal for lunch or dinner.
However, you can also serve it as a side dish. It goes really well with roast meats such as chicken or ham and so is a great option for buffet meals.
What can you do with the leftovers?
I like to assemble this salad when I eat it as the dressing can make the salad leaves go soggy if it is dressed too early. However, you can keep all the salad ingredients together in an airtight container and just add the dressing when you want to eat it.
Alternatively any roasted butternut squash can be kept in the fridge for up to three days. It's then very quick to assemble the rest of the salad. Or you can use the leftover butternut squash in another recipe. I sometimes use it to make this pumpkin and feta quiche!
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 80 g pecan nuts
- 150 g salad leaves
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Put the butternut squash on a baking tray with the dried thyme, salt and black pepper and toss with the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Put the pecans in the oven for about 5 minutes at the same time as the butternut squash is roasting.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust any of the ingredients to your taste.
- Serve the salad by putting the leaves on each plate, topping with the butternut squash, pecans and feta and then drizzle over the dressing.
More Recipes you might like
How about this no mayo potato salad with egg and anchovies?
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this roasted butternut squash salad recipe. I love to get feedback from readers.