These Spanish chicken kebabs are perfect for cooking on the bbq right now. Beautifully marinated, they're just as good grilled or baked. They make a great easy family dinner that we all love!
Chicken kebabs are really popular in Spain
I don't normally think of kebabs as being particularly Spanish. I generally think of more eastern Mediterranean or Middle Eastern countries when I think of kebabs. Or at least I used to.
During our recent holiday I realised just how popular they are in Spain. It may be because I have two rather picky eaters and marinated grilled chicken just happens to be one of those foods they are always happy to eat. Whatever the reason, these tasty Spanish chicken skewers became a very popular menu choice during our week away.
Recreating a holiday recipe
Once we got home, the two little ones were more than happy for me to recreate the recipe. The best thing about it, is that it's a meal everyone will enjoy and so I don't need to prepare two different dinners. Although we might want different sides with our kebabs, all four of us are happy to eat them. By the way, I've also recreated these Spanish saute potatoes inspired by the same holiday.
Ingredients for Spanish chicken skewers
To make these Spanish chicken kebabs you'll need:
- Spices - Turmeric, hot paprika, smoked paprika, ground coriander and cumin
- Garlic - You can use fresh crushed garlic or a garlic paste or puree.
- Thyme - If you have fresh thyme then use it but I often replace it with about half a teaspoon of dried thyme. Either are fine.
- Seasoning - A little salt and black pepper
- Vinegar - You can use sherry or wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Chicken - I usually use chicken breast as my family prefer it. However, diced chicken thigh also works well.
How to make Spanish chicken kebabs
Do check out the recipe card further down the page. However, these chicken skewers could not be easier to make. First just dice the chicken and then combine all the ingredients. Put it in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour but ideally 24 hours.
Then, thread the chicken onto skewers and cook them. I usually cook them under the grill. They take about 12 minutes. You can also bake them in the oven, cook them on a bbq or on a griddle pan on the hob. Just do whatever suits you. You could even put them in the air fryer.
What to eat with these Spanish chicken kebabs
I like to eat these Spanish chicken kebabs with a nice big salad and some fresh bread. It makes such a simple meal in the evening and who doesn't want an easy meal in this hot weather? The chicken is very very easy to prepare too. It only takes 5 minutes to mix together the ingredients for the marinade. I left mine in the fridge overnight but if you are short on time you can marinate it for just a couple of hours.
Why is the Spanish chicken yellow?
The chicken is really tender and tasty with a lovely yellow colour from the turmeric and paprika. If you wanted the recipe to be really authentic, you could use saffron instead of turmeric but it's more expensive. Turmeric and paprika are often used as substitutes in Spain too so it's not a complete cheat. They also happen to be spices I use a lot and I know the children will like too.
How to cook these Spanish kebabs
I cooked these in a griddle pan inside but they would be great cooked outside on the bbq. We'll definitely be trying them cooked that way this summer. It's always good when a recipe is so versatile and that's exactly what this recipe is. You could even cut the chicken into strips and stir fry it if that's easier! If you like homemade kebabs then why not have a look at my duck kebabs too? And my Spanish pork skewers, pinchos morunos.
What can you do with the leftovers?
I usually just store any leftovers in the fridge and we eat them up the next day with salad. This chicken is just as good cold and just as tasty. You can keep the cooked kebab meat in the fridge for up to three days.
If you want to do something different with it them why not put it on a pizza, in a sandwich or even into a curry!
Spanish Chicken Kebabs
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 sprigs thyme or ⅓ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoon sherry or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts cubed into approx 2.5cm pieces
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade. Just add the leaves from the thyme by running your fingers down the stalk starting at the top.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and stir it around so all the pieces are coated.
- Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Thread the chicken on to skewers. If using wooden ones, soak in water first.
- Cook the chicken in a hot oiled griddle pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Alternatively bake for 15 minutes in the oven or cook on the bbq.
More of my Spanish recipes
Are you looking for more Spanish or Spanish inspired recipes? How about these ones?
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these Spanish chicken kebabs or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.