This Spanish omelette with chorizo, potato, onions and red peppers is perfect as part of a tapas meal. A great recipe for sharing with friends and family.
I've been making this delicious Spanish omelette with chorizo for quite a few years now. It's one of those recipes that's perfect for an easy weekend brunch.
It's so good and the chorizo gives it an incredible flavour. The whole omelette tastes of that lovely smoky paprika and whenever you bite into a little piece of chorizo it's extra good!
Spanish omelettes are not at all like ordinary omelettes which I have to admit can be a little eggy, even if you like eggs! The great thing about Spanish ones is that they are packed with extra ingredients, like the chorizo, onions and peppers in this recipe.
Ingredients in this Spanish omelette
To make this Spanish omelette recipe you'll need:
- Eggs - I usually use large ones
- Potato - waxy ones are best so they don't break apart as easily
- Red pepper - I like the colour of red pepper but I sometimes miss it out if I don't have it. You can replace it with an orange, yellow or green pepper.
- Chilli pepper - This adds a bit more flavour and we love it! Miss it out if you don't want the extra heat. Or replace it with jalapenos from a jar.
- Garlic - I never complain about too much garlic and this is really tasty.
- Onion - I usually use a brown onion but you can use red ones. Or add some spring onions.
Can you adapt this Spanish Omelette Recipe?
This Spanish omelette can be varied in all sorts of ways. I've already mentioned a few ways you can adapt it but there are lots of other ways you can make it your own.
You can use different vegetables instea of the red pepper. I think peas, green beans and asparagus are all quite tasty in it.
I love the onions in a Spanish omelette. You can miss them out if you're not a fan of onions but to me, they're an integral part of the omelette.
This recipe uses chorizo to give that gorgeous smoked paprika flavour. If you're not a fan of chorizo then of course you could use something else. Bacon lardons are great and even ham. I haven't tried it but I think anchovies would work well too. Let me know if you try that!
It may not be very Spanish but you can pimp up this Spanish omelette by adding a few extra toppings. I often like to add some grated cheese before grilling it at the end.
What can you serve with this Spanish omelette?
Because of the egg, potato and chorizo this can be a fairly heavy meal so I like to serve a big green salad on the side. If you are eating it as a main meal then some crusty bread goes well. You could even put slices of the Spanish omelette inside a sandwich!
I think a few sauces are so good with this omelette too. You could go for ketchup or mayonnaise or be a little bit more adventurous with some aioli or hot sauce.
More Spanish Inspired Recipes
If you love Spanish flavours then these easy Spanish recipes will definitely suit you.
You might also like these huevos rotos, also known as broken eggs.
Spanish Omelette with Chorizo
- 6 eggs
- 1 potato diced or sliced into rounds
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 chilli pepper sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 100 g chorizo diced
- Boil the potatoes for about 8 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, fry the chorizo until it begins to go a little crispy on the edges. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan. When soft add the peppers, chillies and garlic. A few minutes later return the chorizo to the pan. Cook for a few minutes then add the potatoes. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Beat the eggs and pour into the pan. Tip the pan around to make sure the eggs cover all the ingredients. Turn the heat down very low and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Put the frying pan under the grill to make sure all the egg on the top is cooked and there are no runny bits. Serve in slices with green salad.