This healthy salad of warm roasted vegetables with sumac and feta is really easy to prepare for a simple lunch or dinner. It's great as a main meal by itself or can be a side dish too.
I am prepared for you to disagree with me here, but sometimes there is just nothing nicer than a plate of slightly spicy warm roasted vegetables with a bit of feta cheese.
If you put this in front of me, that is exactly what I will think. I will polish it off while wondering why I don't roast vegetables more often. I especially love the soft texture of the aubergine and the slight crunch of the onions.
Oh and I mustn't forget the softness of the sweet potato with the slightly caramelised bits around the outside.
I love to eat this salad warm but it's also good cold the next day for packed lunches or picnics.
Another great thing about this salad is the sumac. Sumac is a lovely acidic lemony spice that adds so much flavour!
Ingredients for this roasted vegetable salad
To make this salad you'll need:
- Sweet potato
- Aubergine (eggplant)
- Courgette (zucchini)
- Red onion - You can use brown onions but I love the colour contrast of red ones.
- Feta cheese - If you don't have feta then try goat's cheese or a crumbly white cheese such as Cheshire or Wensleydale
- Oregano - I usually use dried oregeno but if you have fresh oregano then that's great.
- Chilli flakes - These really perk this salad up but you can omit them if you are not a fan of too much chilli heat.
- Sumac - This is such a gorgeous Middle Eastern spice. It adds a beautiful lemony flavour to this salad.
- Olive oil
- Lemon - This is optional to serve with the salad. I think an extra squeeze of lemon really makes this salad sing!
Such an Easy Salad to Make!
The good thing about this warm roasted vegetable salad, is that it is just so easy to make. Just prepare the vegetables, toss them in a little oil and throw them in the oven.
Even if you've used a lot of oil, you still feel like you are having a healthy meal.
How can you adapt this roasted vegetable salad?
This salad is the kind of salad that I tend to adapt a little each time I make. You can change the vegetables. Tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms are all lovely. As I said above, you can change the cheese too. I like it with all kinds of crumbly white cheeses and it's also delicious with goats cheese.
What can you serve with this salad?
If the vegetables and feta are not filling enough by themselves, why not serve it with some crusty bread rolls or pitta breads? I love it with these nigella seed flatbreads.
You could also serve it as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak. It's lovely with this Middle Eastern marinated chicken.
More Recipes you might like
If you love salads then do check out my recipe collection of main meal salads to fill you up!
Or how about one of these salad recipes:
Warm Roasted Vegetables Salad with Feta and Sumac
- 1 sweet potato
- ¼ aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 red onion
- 100 g feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Chop the vegetables and put them on a roasting tray.
- Sprinkle with the oregano, sumac and chilli flakes. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve the roasted vegetables topped with the cubed feta and sprinkled with a little extra sumac.
- If you want, add a squeeze of lemon.